1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member

Riding around NYC

So im looking to purchase my first adult bike. I havent ridden since 1984 (gt pro performer). I have a budget of $1000, $1200 max. I plan to ride mostly in the streets, bike paths, parks, off curbs, ect...

ive been looking at these 3 bikes

Cannondale Bad Boy 5 (im worried that i will be resticted with this bike, id like to be able to ride where i want around nyc)

Trek Mamba (seems to be a good bargain)
    Cannondale sl2 29er (looks cool)

Am i better off with a hybrid like the badboy or a 29er? Also, im a big dude 6'2" 230lbs

Ive ridden them all, all feel good to me. The bad boy seemed the roughest ride, but light and fast, but im concerned about those skinny little tires lol

any advice to sway me would be appreciated.

Fat-tired Roadie
    Hybrids suck. I did fine on road bikes in NYC, but I'd already been riding for a while as an adult when I moved, so I wasn't trying to learn to hop a curb and I was willing to give up the ability to ride down a stairset.

If you're interested in mountain biking, get a mountain bike. They do great as commute/utility bikes, and the couple riding spots in the city are a fun break.

If you're not interested/the logisitics are just too much of a pain, stop worrying so much and try some road bikes. Touring and cyclocross models tend to come out of the box with more of a rough-and-ready attitude and a more forgiving build.

Which borough? I lived in Manhattan. Happy enough to be back on the West Coast now. :-D
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrwSwitch View Post
    Hybrids suck. I did fine on road bikes in NYC, but I'd already been riding for a while as an adult when I moved, so I wasn't trying to learn to hop a curb and I was willing to give up the ability to ride down a stairset.

If you're interested in mountain biking, get a mountain bike. They do great as commute/utility bikes, and the couple riding spots in the city are a fun break.

If you're not interested/the logisitics are just too much of a pain, stop worrying so much and try some road bikes. Touring and cyclocross models tend to come out of the box with more of a rough-and-ready attitude and a more forgiving build.

Which borough? I lived in Manhattan. Happy enough to be back on the West Coast now. :-D
    Even I would also suggest you to buy a mountain bike, it will be very beneficial for you as I read your post. Still choice is yours...!!!

mtbr member
    I'd agree with Andrew that hybrids suck.
    I'd disagree with the road bike route unless your keeping up with a fast group, time and distance is the goal, or your roads are smooth and not busy.
    You can do roads with a mtb, but can't do much trails with a road bike.
    A rigid or at least a lock out fork is in order for the type of riding you describe.
    Round and round we go

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Mountain bike!!! More fun!! Don't bother with hybrids because I don't understand why anyone would get the weight but not the function.

Road bikes are good to get if you are wanting the lightness/efficiency for A: Distance B: Speed.

mtbr member
    I had the same question a month ago. I picked up a mountain bike and put some slick tires on when I am riding to work and around the city. On weekend when I head off to trail, i put back on the off road tires. I love riding my mountain bike in the city, I also live in brooklyn and every ride I go though prospect park and every ride I get off the rode and ride on the path a bit. Maybe you can rent one of each for a day and try it out.

What every you decide, just start riding, its up to you.

mtbr member
    Thanks for all the replies and advice guys. Logically it made sense to do a 29er mountain bike, but after riding them again, the bad boy just felt right. So that's what I went with and it's ****in awesome! I love it!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Awesome. I just did a 57 mile tour around Indy on my 29er with a set of Race Kings...it worked out well.