1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.

Thread: Rider or Bike?

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Rider or Bike?

When I sit up and ride no handed it feels like i have to move my whole body to the left to stay balanced and straight. Why is this?

mbtr member
    because of the cranks. You always have one foot forward, or down. Should go away if you pedal with no hands.
    Hell is eternally climbing manzanita trail on your singlespeed.

mtbr member
    if you are pedaling, it could be your derailer cables are pushing your bars that way, if they are unequal length, or routed all to one side,