1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.

Thread: rice cakes

mtbr member
    Mar 2014

rice cakes

made some delicious rice cakes for fuel on the trail but they wont stay together. hard to eat on the run. any suggestions for a firmer cake?

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Throw 'em away and get a couple snicker bars.

mtbr member
    Did you use sushi rice?
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycle151 View Post
    Friggin' coward. Give me a red chiclet instead of debating like a man. You don't deserve your green blocks.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011

Trailhead Poseur
    Have you seen the book Feed Zone Portables? It's a collection of recipes originally designed to go into the feed bags of pro road racers. I haven't read it myself, but it gets good reviews.
    Speed solves all problems, except for those things it makes worse.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jjaguar View Post
    Have you seen the book Feed Zone Portables? It's a collection of recipes originally designed to go into the feed bags of pro road racers. I haven't read it myself, but it gets good reviews.
    I have it. It's a great book with a lot of good stuff. That's why I asked if sushi rice was used. That's what is called for in all the recipes in the book. I've made a few and never had an issue with them staying together.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycle151 View Post
    Friggin' coward. Give me a red chiclet instead of debating like a man. You don't deserve your green blocks.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Coverdog View Post
    Throw 'em away and get a couple snicker bars.
    That or just go out and buy the rice cakes cheese flavor of course.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Nubster View Post
    Did you use sushi rice?
    Tell that to people here and they'll scrunch their noses at you. Sushi rice here is vinagered rice. I think your talking about just the short grain rice itself. And if that doesn't stick enough for you, you could use glutinous "sweet" rice. Again you'll confuse a lot of people here with that terminology, we say mochi rice. Extra sticky! It's what Asian rice "cake" aka mochi is made from. But in that kind of rice cake the rice is steamed and pounded into a homogenous gooey blob. Yummy, but perhaps not a good form for consumption while riding/excercising, it can be a choking hazard.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    gee thanks coverdog your a big help