1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Aug 2013

Returning to MTB'ing. Is this FS Craigslist bike a fair deal?

Hi,

I'm new here. You all seem nice.

I've been away from mountain biking since my specialized hardtail was stolen a couple years ago, but I'm looking to get back into it. My riding style was aggressive and fast, I only went up hills so I could get to go down them, and I beat the hell out of my HT pretty good.

I was on the fence about going HT again or FS, but I'm leaning FS. My budget is <=$1,500.

I'm wondering what y'all's opinion is of this Versus Blitz rig from craigslist. The price is $1,095. Ugliness doesn't bother me. Assuming nothing major is fubar on it, is this a fairish price for the setup?

Any other feedback is welcome as well.

Cheers!

---/The Post/---

Specifications:

4-6 inches of rear wheel travel via CNC rocker link alternate shock mounting
    Heavy Duty, Hydroformed and gusseted 7005 tubeset
    CNC'd rear suspension yokes and rocker link with sealed bearings on all pivots
    Manitou Swinger 4-way coil

A few years old setup with Sram X7, Shimano's competitor which many riders prefer even though less well known.
    Marzocchi Z1 Freeride with Lockout,
    Awesome Wheelset: DT Hugi Hubs on Sun Rhyno Lite Rims and 8" Disc Rotors,
    Shimano Saint Triple Crankset,
    XT Front Derailleur,
    Hayes Nine Disc Brakes,
    Koski Bar,
    WTB Devo Thinline Saddle Seat with Titec Pyro long Seatpost,
    Woodman Seat Collar Clamp.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by tylerjd View Post
    A few years old setup with Sram X7
    Kind of worries me. Otherwise, it's a decent bike if you say ugliness doesn't bother you. (Wouldn't go out anywhere with that, honestly)

mtbr member
    Its not a horrible deal. There will be a big difference in weight from a HT to FS. I've seen Blitz builds that are in the mid 30 lb range while a HT usually runs around 25-28lbs and lighter if we're talking carbon frames.

I think a lot of people climb and descend, but it depends on the kind of descent that you're usually going down. Which trails are you riding? (I'm in the Bay Area as well).
    An FS all-mountain rig usually works for most situation. You have enough travel to attack the hairy stuff and the nimbleness to carve up singletracks and the more technical trails while still having the ability to climb at a decent pace (depending on the geometry).

Total Goober
    Sep 2009
    I vote no. It was a nice build for the time, but it is pretty old. I just saw an MTBR review that says that frame was over 10 pounds. Way too heavy.

I think you can get a much better bike for your $1500 budget.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuglio View Post
    You guys suck im all bummed now

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I'm new to trails in the Bay Area so I can't say - most of my trail time was down in San Luis Obispo (college) and then some in the Mojave (before college). If you have any recommendations for Yay Area trails I'm all ears (especially ones closer to the East Bay).

Thanks for all the input so far everyone.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tylerjd View Post
    I'm new to trails in the Bay Area so I can't say - most of my trail time was down in San Luis Obispo (college) and then some in the Mojave (before college). If you have any recommendations for Yay Area trails I'm all ears (especially ones closer to the East Bay).

Thanks for all the input so far everyone.
    If you live in the East Bay just get a Hunqapillar and bomb trails on a "road bike"!
    In all honesty though, a Downhill bike is pretty useless around here, you can do Cinderella Trail 1,000 times maybe, but an All Mountain might do better. I think hardtails are better, but I'm bias and like simplicity (see comment about Hunqapillar). I wouldn't get anything that couldn't climb because some of my favorite off road rides thus far in the East Bay have been in the Regional Parks like Black Diamond Mines or Walnut Creek Open Space which are rolling fire roads.

mtbr member
    For the East Bay trails, I'd agree that a HT would do just fine for most trails around there, but if you plan to hit up other spots, then an AM would be a better idea. Skeggs isn't that far away from you (about an hour from Berkeley) and Waterdog Lake is about the same. I've done Skeggs on my HT before but a FS would be a better idea out there.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    After you get a bike,join the BTCEB(.ORG) for the monthly Gala ride on the 2nd Sat of every month. The ride is in a different park each month with rides for all skill levels.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Awesome, thanks for the beta on EB trails. That's a bummer that there's not more/better trails around near where I could ride to them but I'm okay with traveling a little bit to get to ones that'll let an AM bike flex a bit.

Thanks for the tip on BTCEB, sounds like an awesome way to learn the trails. I did trail work in the city with SF Urban Riders when I lived there a few years back. Nothing like trail work to make you feel like you earn your rides!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigSteve in CO View Post
    I just saw an MTBR review that says that frame was over 10 pounds.
    if that is true, don't get it!

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Yeah it seems like the Blitz frame is right at 10lbs.

I hear you guys on the weight... I've never ridden a FS before so I have no basis of comparison. What would a comparable priced newer frame weigh that you guys would look for in a rig like this?

I am wondering, out of my ignorance of FS bikes, how big of a difference couple pounds is going to make. Especially for a person who has happily taken the "tank" route on most things in life, and someone who is far from being able to appreciate the latest and greatest in FS/MTB frame tech.

Thanks!

ready to ride
    Not only is it heavy, but it also looks like it is designed to be a downhill bike, which is part of the reason it is so heavy. Not a good option for an all around bike. I'd say most aluminum frams for xc/trail are between 6 and 7.

That extra 3 would make quite a difference in my opinion. Also why sell your self short on today's technology? Also keep in mind unless you find a used bike that has hardly been ridden, and those are out there, you will be dropping more coin on replacing parts.

Honestly at that price point I would probably look at a hard tail.

Either way I would keep looking.
    Sent via my heady vibes from the heart of Pisgahstan

mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Re: Returning to MTB'ing. Is this FS Craigslist bike a fair deal?

You can look up my posts. Look at eBay completed listings for bikes in the 1100 rangee. Much better options as that CL is very overpriced. You can get a decked out FS bike used on eBay with some hunting.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by RidingSeed View Post
    Kind of worries me. Otherwise, it's a decent bike if you say ugliness doesn't bother you. (Wouldn't go out anywhere with that, honestly)
    It doesn't look THAT bad to me and it seems like a great deal..

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I'm new, I think hardtails are better, but I'm bias and like simplicity too.*********************l/3Lwa3[/img]