1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    May 2009

Resurrection project to help a patient - Knowledge appreciated!

Resurrection project to help a patient - Knowledge appreciated!-20131005_181954.jpg

Resurrection project to help a patient - Knowledge appreciated!-20131005_181922.jpg

Resurrection project to help a patient - Knowledge appreciated!-20131005_181933.jpg

Resurrection project to help a patient - Knowledge appreciated!-20131005_181948.jpg

Resurrection project to help a patient - Knowledge appreciated!-20131005_181939.jpg

Our budget is limited... 8 years in damp basement donation.

Any donor part better than shown really appreciated + mention.

What are these brakes called so I can narrow searches?

Headrace?? Bearings... same thing.

We need to have one front ring allowing only one gear change on bars.. cheap thumb/forefinger gear changers advice?

A local body shop has pledged to spray and lacquer the frame.

We would like to replace the rusty/worn bits any suggestions?

Thanks in advance for any advice, Jem.

x

PS Keep somone mobile
    Last edited by a1rports; 10-05-2013 at 03:45 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Thats a older bike ,the 1" steerer tells me that ,looks like pastic pedals . The brakes are a tpye of V's . I would be real careful of speanding $ on that bike ,you could end up spending more than you would if you bought something else. Ebay for parts.

mtbr member
    I second the above post. Bikes like that can become a money pit real quick. Might be cheaper to get a used bike from a thrift store.

Another option might be to take it to a bike shop, explain your situation, and see if they have any old take-off parts that they could just give you as a form of charity. Free labor might be another thing though so I'd plan on repairing it myself.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Thanks for the replies.. may look at other options

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    That bike looks like with some fresh cables and a few hours of elbow grease it could likely be rideable. Are you sure you actually need any new parts? Some lube and adjustments can go a long way.

FWIW, I wouldn't waste my time getting it painted. Way more hassle to strip it and rebuild it than it's worth.

AZ
    banned
    Cables, brake pads and a new chain. Throw in some grease for bearings. Probably source some take off pedals at the LBS.