mtbr member
    Mar 2014

Restoring a MTB- TREK 4100 ALPFA

I'm looking to restore a Trek 4100 Alpha I found for 30 dollars. It needs work!!! I want to find someone who might have old parts laying around that would fit this bike like good set of shifters and brake components maybe even an upgraded set. And of course for a really cheap price as I haven't been employed for the last 16 months. Our biking season is coming in my neck of the woods. But anyway I don't want a donor bike because I will only eventually try to build that too. Even if you have advice on what to look for I would really appreciate it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Restoring a MTB- TREK 4100 ALPFA-100_2956-sm.jpg  

Restoring a MTB- TREK 4100 ALPFA-100_2958-sm.jpg  

Restoring a MTB- TREK 4100 ALPFA-100_2959-sm.jpg  

Restoring a MTB- TREK 4100 ALPFA-100_2960-sm.jpg  

Restoring a MTB- TREK 4100 ALPFA-100_2963-sm.jpg  

Restoring a MTB- TREK 4100 ALPFA-100_2971-sm.jpg  

Restoring a MTB- TREK 4100 ALPFA-100_2972-sm.jpg  

Restoring a MTB- TREK 4100 ALPFA-100_2973-sm.jpg  

mtbr member
    The first question I have is whether you are able to take everything apart and put it back together?

A neighbor brought me a bike that had been sitting out in the rain (which always ticks me off) that someone gave him. You may not need to replace everything just to get it rolling again, but you have to be able to take it apart to see what can be cleaned and re-used and what has to be replaced. By apart I mean hubs, bottom bracket, headset, etc. Another problem may be what basic bike tools you own or have access to.

You will most likely need cables, tires, tubes, brake pads and a chain, but if you can clean up the rest of it and get is greased/lubed you may be able to get it to work. I don't know if the fork works (rusted?), if it doesn't you may have to pick up a cheap rigid. If it is stuck and won't compress you kinda already have a heavy rigid, but if it collapses at the wrong time while riding it will not be a pleasant experience.

John

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Thanks John, My goal is to fix as much of the the things I can on this bike but your right the front shock is now rusted rigid. Is that gas and can it be taken apart without much danger. And also I would like to upgrade the gear shifting components to rapid fire like on my Trek 830. I really never liked the twisting kind of shifter.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by illfixit View Post
    Thanks John, My goal is to fix as much of the the things I can on this bike but your right the front shock is now rusted rigid. Is that gas and can it be taken apart without much danger. And also I would like to upgrade the gear shifting components to rapid fire like on my Trek 830. I really never liked the twisting kind of shifter.
    Right.

This is not going to work out for you, boss. You need to stick with that 830, this one isn't worth working on, for you especially.

Abort.

mtbr member
    But if you must, ulnevafixit, stop posting here and start reading:

Articles For Beginning Cyclists

Park Tool Co. ¬Ľ ParkTool Blog

Sergeant Spandex
    If you already have a bike that is ridable then I would not put any money into this one. It was an entry level bike when new and certainly hasn't improved with time. Besides the 830 is a better bicycle.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    So, anyone have any parts. I'm still looking!!!

gobsmacked Moderator
    Everybody's right, I'm afraid. Those parts are usually thrown away or donated to a bike kitchen. You could try there. Good luck.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lewisfoto View Post
    If you already have a bike that is ridable then I would not put any money into this one. It was an entry level bike when new and certainly hasn't improved with time. Besides the 830 is a better bicycle.
    Can you clarify what makes the 830 a better bike? We've got a low level '11 4300 that is very light, stiff, and fast. I'd agree if you had mention the heavier 3xxx frame, but the 4300 frame is a pretty sweet ride.

I agree with 70sSan0. I picked up a used and abused '04 4100 in January as my oldest grew through and out of the '11 in just over a year. As the 4300 was a birthday present, we are repainting the '04 and throwing his '11 gear on it. As rusted and nasty as the '04 was when we picked it up, everything is in working order except the cables. Check that gear before tossing, it's amazing how much old parts will clean up and work properly if you are willing to take the time.

Good luck. Check your local LBS, they often have pull off parts they will let go for about 50% retail value unless they are jerks

Phobia of petting zoos.
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Flamingtaco View Post
    Can you clarify what makes the 830 a better bike? We've got a low level '11 4300 that is very light, stiff, and fast. I'd agree if you had mention the heavier 3xxx frame, but the 4300 frame is a pretty sweet ride.
    As for what makes an 830 a better bike, I'm guessing because it's not a low level '11 4300. Bey hey, I've never ridden a low level '11 4300 so I'm just gonna take your word for it that they are stiff light and fast and a sweet ride. If I had one, I'd put pegs on it and take it off some sweet jumps.

Two things are certain here though.

One is that I'm all for someone taking a bike off the streets and mucking about with it to learn what makes a bike work, make it something functional and have someone get some use out of it.

Two, is that this is the Vintage, Retro and Classic forum. That Trek is none of those things.

Again, giving a beat up bike some attention is admirable and more power to the OP, but this should be moved to the Tooltime board or the Beginner board.

Grumps

mtbr member
    Mar 2014

Wolf nipple chips
    That thing could be salvaged, but you aren't going to get that fork apart, and it isn't even worth saving. If that came into my shop, I'd be expecting at the MINIMUM to replace all the cables and the cable housings, perhaps even the chain. Put as little effort into that thing as possible, it is the equivalent of taking an old rusting Pinto that's got weeds growing out of it, and getting the engine to just turn over.

gobsmacked Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Grumpy View Post
    but this should be moved to the Tooltime board or the Beginner board.

Grumps
    Thanks. You're right. He'll probably get more people to chime in and help him there. So moved.

Sergeant Spandex
    Quote Originally Posted by Flamingtaco View Post

The crux of my post was if he had a rideable bike then spending money on a clearly neglected one was throwing good money after bad.

Moderator Moderator
    Jun 2006
    I'm looking to restore a Trek 4100 Alpha I found for 30 dollars. It needs work!!!
    You overpaid IMO. I find far nicer bikes at the dump all the time.
    Cut your losses and give that thing a decent burial!
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

Phobia of petting zoos.
    Oct 2005
    God dammit, I never dreamt this post would rise up so many sensitive feelings about fixing an old bike, holy ****. I'll find another source as to find my parts. And the beginner comments please I've been riding mountains for 40 plus years from New England to AZ and have won several mtb races. I thought there was a bit more backbone in my fellow riders, apparently not. So please ask your mommies for some warm milk and be carful of the pole in the basement as you prepare for your next adventure. And remember don't for get to wear your protection and your sippy cup of water so you don't get hurt and dehydrated. As for you John, disregard this reply and thanks for the direction I don't know how you stand it here!!!Signing off...
    I reposted the original for prosperity.

Grumps

mtbr member
    Cables, chain, and a good bit of elbow grease, and I'd ride that thing.

I had my Y33 sitting outside for probably a solid 2 years. Just stupid on my part, but it was out there for a long time. Fork paint is badly faded, chain was so badly rusted it would not move. Rear hub very, very rough.

Took it apart for warranty on the frame, and I have been able to make almost every part usable again. The wheels are almost perfect, front and rear XT derailleurs are fully usable. Bottom bracket was fine. Cassette cleaned up and looks like new. Deore V brakes are being used on my brother's hardtail, as well as the brake levers. The shifters were broken and junk anyway, so we didn't even mess with them.

My RST Mozo Pro fork was in rough shape, but after pulling it apart, removing the old grease and all of the water in it, it works like a nearly new 19 year old fork!

The tires were completely destroyed, and I had to hack away the weeds that had encased the entire rear wheel. It was a sad, sad, sad sight.

Sergeant Spandex
    I'm sure we will all prosper from the full retelling of his unfortunate implosion, so it is posted for posterity...

gobsmacked Moderator
    God dammit, I never dreamt this post would rise up so many sensitive feelings about fixing an old bike, holy ****. I'll find another source as to find my parts. And the beginner comments please I've been riding mountains for 40 plus years from New England to AZ and have won several mtb races. I thought there was a bit more backbone in my fellow riders, apparently not. So please ask your mommies for some warm milk and be carful of the pole in the basement as you prepare for your next adventure. And remember don't for get to wear your protection and your sippy cup of water so you don't get hurt and dehydrated. As for you John, disregard this reply and thanks for the direction I don't know how you stand it here!!!Signing off...
    Geez. How were we supposed to know you were some kind of professional when you thought your fork was full of dangerous gases?

Phobia of petting zoos.
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by lewisfoto View Post
    I'm sure we will all prosper from the full retelling of his unfortunate implosion, so it is posted for posterity...
    Hey yeah. Sorry, I was pre-coffee when I posted that!

I is normerly much gooder with werds.

Grumps