1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    May 2006

Restarting again.

Hello, I am new to the forum. I am not new to riding but I haven't done any riding seriously in about 12 years. I used to have a an old ridged frame schwinn fronteer that lasted alot longer then it should have. After replacing the rims on it twice and uncounted number of petals it retired when i graduated high school. Now 12 years later all the technolgy has changed, there are suspension forks, disc brakes, and tons of other thing that just weren't available back then or so expesive a highschooler could only dream about it.

I have gone to my loal bike shop, and looked around I also browsed these forums for a few days and would like an opinion. The bike I am looking at is the 2006 Giant Yukon for 500 bucks. It seems to have the best "parts for price" for a beginner bike. I will being doing some offroad, trail and city riding and from the reviews I have read it offers above average performace for all three.

Whats your opinion in this bike, and are there any others that might be comparable?

Collector of Scars
    Feb 2006
    I've got no experience with Giant bikes, so I can't help you there, but if you can, check out Specialized. They're usually a pretty good deal for the money, and have a good selection at all price points.

If you're not opposed to ordering online, IBEX seems to have a good rep and decent prices. I've got no experience with these, either, but again, if you're comfortable with that idea, there's tons of people on here who will vouch for the company.

Whatever you decide, welcome to the forum and welcome back to biking! Keep pedaling!

Ross
    "I don't wanna die without any scars. So come on, let's do it before I lose my nerve" - Tyler Durden (Fight Club, Chuck Palahniuk)

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Ok i checked out IBEX, and I really like the alpine 550. It the same price as the Yukon, and slightly better fork and drive train. However I would lose the 2 years of free maintence that I would get from my LBS. So I am not sure now, I wait for some more replys. Is the small upgrade in part worth losing the 2 years of free service?

On MTBR hiatus :(
    Really depends on your mechnanical aptitude (or your willingness to use it). I'm much more comfortable with a copy of Zinn and the Art of Mountain Bike Maintenance and a tool box than I am letting any shop touch my bike, but I know more people than not who would prefer to pay the mechanic than get grease under their nails fine tuning a drivetrain. Your decision.

Among the big companies, Giant offers superb component specs for the money. I wouldn't hesitate to spend the money on the Yukon. On the other hand, I have purchased numerous bikes via mail order, and depending on the component upgrades you receive, it may be worth your effort.
    speedub.nate
    MTBR Hiatus UFN

I play hard to want
    I originally planned on purchasing a Giant Yukon before I bought my Fisher, but the LBS didn't have one in stock and told me I'd have to pay shipping ($45) if I wanted him to order one, so I passed. For the money, it's a good bike. Just ride as many different bikes as you can and find the one that works best for you, don't get too attached to any one particular bike.

mtbr member
    Nightfallen - I'm in the same boat. I rode frequently 10 or 12 years ago on an old Trek Antelope and haven't touched a bike since. For some reason, the bug bit me, I took a trip to the LBS, and came home with a new Specialized Rockhopper for $499 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/jimday1982).

Being that I just got back into the sport, I don't really know how great the components are, but I can tell you that it rides nice as hell and can handle small jumps with ease. I'm sure it could do larger ones too, but I don't think I'm at that point yet

Anyway, good luck with whatever you choose.

mtbr member
    i actually had a schwinn frontier last me about 9 years, it had the top shimano thumb shifters, center-pull brakes, and was in a lovely black and gold paint job. and who could not forget the "bomb-proof" front fork.

to be perfectly honest with you, why not go back to schwinn. i own a 2005 schwinn mesa gsd and it is a wonderful bike, the fork (manitou answer six) is decent, hayes 6" disc brakes, travativ crank, a decent head assembly, shimano deore, etc. and the price is around 450-500 and has components that rival other brands costing 150-200 dollars more.

the schwinn frontier and hurricane models basically led me to consider the mesa after about 5 year break from riding. just go to your local bike shop, avoid department store bikes like the plague.

ride hard take risks
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightfallen
    Ok i checked out IBEX, and I really like the alpine 550. It the same price as the Yukon, and slightly better fork and drive train. However I would lose the 2 years of free maintence that I would get from my LBS. So I am not sure now, I wait for some more replys. Is the small upgrade in part worth losing the 2 years of free service?
    The 2 years free service is for basic adjustments that in many cases you could swing by the LBS & they will adjust for you. The LBS should be happy to help you as long as you use them for accessories. If you need major servicing they should have no problem with the Ibex since it is good quality bike not a K-mart special. Therre are also on line places that can explain how to do most of the basic's.

http://www.webmountainbike.com/maintenance.html

http://www.parktool.com/repair/bikemap.asp

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Thank you all for the replies, I have looked and ridden the specialied Hardrock Sport, and the Mesa. At my shop the Mesa is $100 more then the Yukon. And 500 is really my spending limit right now as I need to make sure I have enough for helmet and other safety gear and tools. The Specialized Sport Disc is $550 which is nice but still that a little out of my price range. I think I have narrowed my choices to either the IBEX 550 or the Yukon. The Yukon 19' seems to really fit my body well as I am 6' 2" 180 lbs. Noone I know has an IBEX so I can't test ride one of those but I think it is the better bike for the money. I'll sleep on it one more night and then either pick up my Yukon tomorrow from the shop or order the IBEX, heh probably have to end up flipping a coin to decide. The factors now are colors and getting my bike right away vs waiting for the shipment. Thank you all for your input. Hopfully regardless by Friday or Saturday I will be able to hit my first trail.

ride hard take risks
    If you order your Ibex tonight or tommarow Georga to you, should be 2 days max.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Ibex ordered 550 21"frame, as recommended by Ibex after I gave them my measurements., it came down to a coin flip and Ibex won =P, besides I think I will enjoy learning to tune my own bike. Can't wait til it gets here.

ride hard take risks
    Ibex ordered 550 21"frame, as recommended by Ibex after I gave them my measurements., it came down to a coin flip and Ibex won =P, besides I think I will enjoy learning to tune my own bike. Can't wait til it gets here.
    Awsome you will enjoy, ride on.

mtbr member
    very cool.

get a nice little pocket multi tool like the crank bros 19. it'll serve you well for most purposes. always ride with it. be ready to tune up your drivetrain and brakes after a few rides. cable stretch and all. check your bike over before every ride; wheels spin straight and smooth? any wobbles? brake rub? drivetrain shifting cleanly? air in the tubes/shocks?

make friends with your local shop. even tho you didn't buy from them, good guys will hook you up on the occassion with good deals, ride opportunities, good advice.

invest in eye protection, sunglasses with multiple lens for different light conditions. make sure they fit well, dont let light in over the rim, dont slip off your nose.

invest in proper riding shorts. regular underwear and shorts will burn.

measure your water. once you hit half the bottle, time to turn back.

use sunblock.

biking shoes are an excellent investment, saving your feet from fatigue and transfering all your energy to the pedals.

the first 2-3 months of riding, 2-3 times per week will hurt. after that, it's all gravy...

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Venting................. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR. I hate fedex, they did get the bike here in two days, HOWEVER, I was not home to sign for it, I was at work. I missed the delivery person my 7 minutes. I called them to see if they could contact the driver to have him swing back by while he was still in the area. FedEx told they can not contact there ground drivers which I know they can (i used to deal with shipping in my old job), not problem I thought Ill just pick it up from the warehouse, they said thats fine the truck should arrive back aboiut 4pm. I call back at 4pm to confirm the truck is back and I can come get my new bike. They tell me that it will not come off the truck and that they won't get it off the truck for me, Fedex ground does not do that. *scream* they do not deliver on Saturday and this being a holiday weekend will not even make a second attempt at delivery until next TUESDAY. SO my bike is sitting on truck 20 minutes from where I live and I have to wait THREE days AND take off work so I dont miss the next delivery. Needless to say I wrote FedEx a scalding complaint letter and wrote to IBEX recommending they switch delivery service. UPS will allow you to pick up a package if they can't deliver. DHL allows you to pick up if they can't deliver, the US Post office allows you to pick up if they can not deleiver. WTF!!!!! FedEx does not!!! GRRRRRRRR I already had made plans with friends to to go biking this weekend and now I can't go...... ok done venting just really pissed right now.

ride hard take risks
    If it's not to late you might want to just drive over, sometimes face to face works out. Just dont start throwing fists.

iroar
    besides I think I will enjoy learning to tune my own bike. Can't wait til it gets here.
    First off, sorry about your Fedex woes. Maybe you can rent a bike this weekend? I know it is not the same, but at least you could still go biking with your friends.

Right on, that was my attitude when I mail-ordered my bike. I put it together and I have tuned EVERYTHING, some things (like the front derailluer) multiple times. I even trued my wheels. Just use all of the internet sources listed in Dagonfr's post above, and I'll add www.utahmountainbiking.com/fix/index.htm

I'm getting to know my bike inside and out and it makes the whole experience more enjoyable. I used to ride BMX bikes when I was very young (mid-teens and younger) and I always tuned, fixed, upgraded etc my bike back then, so I was fairly confident that I could get up to speed with a mountain bike.

- Jeff

ride hard take risks
    Hay iroar thats a sweet link hope you dont mind that o barrowed it, i'll return it sometime.

iroar
    No prob Dogonfr, the links u posted are in my favs now too. Glad I can be of some help even though I'm just a lowly N00B

ride hard take risks
    Quote Originally Posted by iroar
    No prob Dogonfr, the links u posted are in my favs now too. Glad I can be of some help even though I'm just a lowly N00B
    I say there now son pick that there chin up & go in a swingin