Did I catch a niner?

New question here. Replacing old MTB stem

As you can see I have an old school stem that is all one piece from a 1997 Trek Mountain Track 800 Sport. I would like to swap this out for something newer and cheap (Easton EA30) but am not sure how? I have tried finding some how to's online but no luck.

Any insight? Or a video you can link me to?

pink
    Mr. Krabs: Is it true, Squidward? Is it hilarious?

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    That's a 1" quill stem. You either need to replace it with another 1" quill stem or get a quill stem adapter like this http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...++Adaptor.aspx , and then use a normal modern mtb stem.

Warning: may contain sarcasm and/or crap made up in an attempt to feel important.

Did I catch a niner?
    Had I had any patience I would've not even started the thread but I did find that and ordered one plus the EA30 already. But I hope this thread helps out anyone else looking to do this.

pink

Fat-tired Roadie
    I have a similar adapter to the one above. It broke my heart a little to put it on my beautiful 1999 road bike, but it hasn't given me any problems.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

Did I catch a niner?
    I do like to keep the bike original but I need something more forward the Space Bar is going into my knees.

pink

Fat-tired Roadie
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pink57
    I do like to keep the bike original but I need something more forward the Space Bar is going into my knees.

pink
    If you're going to stick with the original bars, you shouldn't have any trouble finding a compatible stem on EBay or from QBP. You need to find out if you have a 1" or 1 1/8" steer tube. Since it's a mountain bike, you almost certainly have a 25.4mm clamp. As long as those sizes match, the stem will be compatible.

I did it with the adapter because I wanted a handlebar that only comes in a larger clamp diameter. The new stems are a little better, IMHO, but not enough to justify screwing up a period bike if you're trying to keep it period.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

Did I catch a niner?

Not trying to keep it a "period" bike just didn't want to change anything if I did not have to as most of the bike was in decent condition. But here it is after the change, I just put it on about an hour ago. While installing I thought it was going to be WAY too far forward but actually it sits just right.

pink

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I am bumping this because I found it helpful.