1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Dec 2012

Replacing Mid-2000 Frame with 2010+ Frame (Same Vendor)

What kind of issues do I have to check for if I am looking into replacing a Mid-2000 frame on my current setup with a 2010+ frame from the same manufacturer. Is that a big time gap where a lot of things will not be compatible with each other anymore? It is probably manufacturer-specific.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    There could be some ,the first thing to check is the seat tube diameter if it is different then you need a new seat post and front derailuer. The steerer tube could be longer or shorter or have a different diameter(tapered v non tapered) The bottom bracket might be different also. What are the frames? Are they the same type(ie)cross country?You wouldn't want to try and use cross country parts on a downhill frame.

CSC
    mtbr member
    May 2011
    If you have cantilever brakes, make sure the new frame has the mounts...or remember to buy some disc brakes for the new frame (many only have the disc brake mounts now)

Rod
    Endorphin Junkie
    Ranger and CSC have both given you really good advice. Check your steerer tube length on the fork, does the new frame need a tapered fork (I'm sure your old one isn't), how much travel is the new frame designed around and how much does the old one have (don't vary by more than 20mm is a good standard), check your seat tube diameter because that could require you to buy a new seatpost and front derailleur. Also make sure you're getting the same 26 inch wheelsize bike, but that's should be a given. The new bike frame will probably only have disc brake mounts.
    There is not much choice between rotten apples.