1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member

Replacement for the Spacialized Avatar gel - more comfy!

XC riding 30 minutes - 3 hours.

Man this Avatar is not as soft as they say it is. I have been using it for 1 year and it just not happening. Money is no object...as I do need to find a comfy saddle fast.

I go myself measured with the foam and I a fit perfect on a 155mm. I tried the cheap velo seat that came on my wife's RM Soul and the difference is huge. The Avatar feels like i am sitting on rocks, and the other my couch.

my LBS recommended me the Specialized Sonoma, but it looks like it will hurt too.

I may have to invest in padded shorts also.

The Martian
    Jan 2007
    I own three specialized saddles, all different models. I like all of them, BUT even the "padded" "gel" ones (all of mine are gel of varying degrees) are designed with the assumption that you are wearing a cycling chamois with them. If the saddle you have is the right width and just hard after some time in the saddle my suggestion is to get yourself some good shorts.

I actually find that my thinner road saddles from specialized are less hard than my mountain saddle even with less padding because they flex more. However, I always ride with shorts. Rode my mountain bike saddle (a Jett) without shorts once and will never try that again (no rubs, but man I didn't know you could bruise sit bones like that)!!!

mtbr member
    +1 for the padded shorts.

I'm a recent convert to padded shorts, and the difference they make is very noticeable.

About the saddle, if it's the correct size, then even if it's not padded it should be comfortable. The comfort should come from your sits bones being supported correctly, not your butt being cushioned. The cushioned seats will eventually start chafing your naughty bits. That, I would think, is even less fun than having a sore ass.

Try the Sonoma, it couldn't hurt you anymore than you're already hurting. Just a little tidbit about that saddle, and I guess it would apply to saddles in general...but I had that saddle on my road bike and hated it. Hated isn't even a strong enough word. I loathed it. So, I did what any good girlfriend would do, and gave it to the boyfriend...who loves it. He even put the beat up old thing on his brand new bike. So, butt comfort is completely personal. Just try it. You might like it. There are also companies that will let you buy a bunch of saddles and then return all but the one you want to keep with a full refund for the returned saddles. Or that, for a fee, will let you "borrow" a bunch of saddles at a time to try out with the understanding that when you find one you like, you buy it from them. Plus Specialized has a whole boat load of saddles to try. Good luck.
    2008 Specialized Safire Comp

mtbr member
    Well I picked up the Sonoma Gel today. Haven't tried it yet, but just looking athe the difference between the Avatar and the Sonoma and it looks like the Avatar is on the way out.

There is double the padding in the Sonoma and the BG cutout is deeper. I can tell that it will be more confortable than my other saddle.

Anyways...there goes another $95.00 CND.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gdl357
    Anyways...there goes another $95.00 CND.
    Should've spent that money on a pair of proper shorts.
    :wq

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nachomc
    Should've spent that money on a pair of proper shorts.
    I thought of that. I like my buddies hanging loose. I sweat alot so I figure it would be better to wear a baggy pare of thin shorts so the air circulates there.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by gdl357
    I thought of that. I like my buddies hanging loose. I sweat alot so I figure it would be better to wear a baggy pare of thin shorts so the air circulates there.
    Actually, a good pair of bike shorts will wick away the sweat and provide added comfort on the seat. I was skeptical at first but now I can't ride without them.

mtbr member
    can you please post a link of a type or brand I should look for?