1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member

Replacement shifter

Hey, I just purchased an old Specialized Rockhopper for my wife, see this thread.

But the rear derailer does not work. I've found the problem, it's in the shifter. It's a Shimano Altus C10. One of the springs inside has lost it's coil, keeping it from grabbing onto the groove to pull the cable. I was just curious what my replacement options would be? I'm assuming they don't make this model anymore. If this were a car, I would head to the junkyard, and rip the part off another car, but I don't know of any bike junkyards!
    I need it up, you need it down. You don't see me complaining when you leave it down.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Ebay is the equivalent of the junkyard for bikes. How many speeds is it. You don't neccesarily need an Altus shifter. You just need to find a Shimano shifter for the same number of gears. I assume it is either 7 or 8, in which case you could look on ebay for an old Deore, LX or XT 7 or 8 speed shifter.

Former Bike Wrench

Might be able to resurect

Quote Originally Posted by paqman
    Hey, I just purchased an old Specialized Rockhopper for my wife, see this thread.

But the rear derailer does not work. I've found the problem, it's in the shifter. It's a Shimano Altus C10. One of the springs inside has lost it's coil, keeping it from grabbing onto the groove to pull the cable. I was just curious what my replacement options would be? I'm assuming they don't make this model anymore. If this were a car, I would head to the junkyard, and rip the part off another car, but I don't know of any bike junkyards!
    The grease in the Shimano shifters hardens over time, overpowering the weak springs and not allowing the pawls to engage. I have resurrected literally dozens of old Shimano shifters by simply saturating the insides with WD40...REALLY

After saturating it, start to work the shifter. Soon, those pawls will loosen up and the shifter will begin to work. Once you get the shifter working, dry out as much of the WD40 as you can, then lube the shifter with a light oil like tri-flow

Give it a try before replacing

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker72
    The grease in the Shimano shifters hardens over time, overpowering the weak springs and not allowing the pawls to engage. I have resurrected literally dozens of old Shimano shifters by simply saturating the insides with WD40...REALLY

After saturating it, start to work the shifter. Soon, those pawls will loosen up and the shifter will begin to work. Once you get the shifter working, dry out as much of the WD40 as you can, then lube the shifter with a light oil like tri-flow

Give it a try before replacing
    Wow, great idea. Thanks! The spring really looks like it's unwound itself, and the grease seems thick, but not hard. But I'll definietly give this a try.
    I need it up, you need it down. You don't see me complaining when you leave it down.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ljsmith
    Ebay is the equivalent of the junkyard for bikes. How many speeds is it. You don't neccesarily need an Altus shifter. You just need to find a Shimano shifter for the same number of gears. I assume it is either 7 or 8, in which case you could look on ebay for an old Deore, LX or XT 7 or 8 speed shifter.
    Thanks. I think you're right, I think it's a 7 speed, but I"ll count.