1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Cool-blue Rhythm Replace my fork??

Hey All! I am currently riding on an '06 Mongoose Wing Elite (XL Frame) and I think the fork is screwed up or at least not up to what I need. It bottoms out pretty easily and I think its leaking. Being said I want to replace it but I have no clue what "size" or type of fork I should be looking for.

Any ideas on where I could find that information for my bike? Any suggestions? How much should I spend?

Thanks a ton!

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    it depends on how much you originally spent for the bike i would check out a rock shox tora coil sprung that will give you a huge jump over the stock fork and i would also look at replaing your rear shock to a manitou radium or a rock shox shock but it really depends on how much you have to spend and you want to put into the bike
    Keep on Ridin

mtbr member
    Looks like it came with a no-name 80 or 100mm fork.
    Take a look at the RockShox DART fork. It's quite affordable, and offers a lot more adjustability than you're used to, but if you're riding an XL frame, you may be large like me (6'4". 220lbs) and you're going to want to look into a fork that can be re-built with stiffer springs, or an air fork that can be set for your weight. Not sure if the DART has these options, but if it does, it's a steal for under $200.

spec4life???..smh...
    I looked and it looks like you can get one for abot 400.

In my opinion i would look at getting a new bike with better componets overall instead of spending half of what the bike is worth on a entry level fork such as the dart. Sell it and buy a nice hardtail.

If you are dead set on keeping it id look at the dart 3 it has lockout and is the max i would spend on that bike.

SSolo
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by spec4life
    ....In my opinion i would look at getting a new bike with better componets overall instead of spending half of what the bike is worth on a entry level fork such as the dart. Sell it and buy a nice hardtail.

If you are dead set on keeping it id look at the dart 3 it has lockout and is the max i would spend on that bike.
    X2...............................................

Quote Originally Posted by MrMook
    ... a fork that can be re-built with stiffer springs, or an air fork that can be set for your weight. Not sure if the DART has these options, but if it does, it's a steal for under $200.
    The Dart3 that came on my hardtail had a red dot sticker under the lower stanchion that said, 'firm' so it would seem that there are different springs available for the Dart forks.
    Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life son...