Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Repair Stands

mtbr member

Repair Stands

Which repair stand do you guys recommend?
    I've only seen them in pictures and most of them don't look sturdy enough to even hold a bike.

Which ones are good and sturdy and how much should I expect to spend?

Thanks guys!

turtles make me hot
    I have one of the Feedback stands. I love it.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by StarTrek8000 View Post
    Which ones are good and sturdy and how much should I expect to spend?
    They'll all hold a bike, but you do need to keep to mainly neutral forces when wrenching on the bike when it's in the stand.

mtbr member
    Wife bought me this one for Christmas last year. It's my first repair stand and find it very useful. I even throw my bike on it after a wash since its perfect way to hold up the bike when drying everything. Plus you can lube the chain when you're done! http://www.performancebike.com/bikes...400152__400152

Now, THAT'S gonna hurt!
    My first, almost 10 years ago, was a Park PC-9. Sturdy, solid, heavy, did the job but essentially turned out to be a frikkin' PITA boat anchor. Crappy ergos and I quickly grew tired of it.

I run a Feedback Sports "Classic" now. It's ridiculous lightweight, easily transportable on a trip which was never even a consideration with a Park stand. I'm loving it and I use it to some degree, literally every day.

Classic Work Stand - feedbackfeedback

When my bike isn't getting wrenched on, and even sometimes when it is, its connected to a Scorpion Stand. This is also one of the greatest things since sliced bread.

The Black - Scorpion Stand ? Scorpion Bike Stands
    ALWAYS ride with a purpose.

mtbr member
    Feedback acquired Ultimate Support. I have an Ultimate Support stand that is the shits. Not "the shit", in a good way, but "the shits", as in a wet steaming dump. The swivel knob will not hold my bike even 5 degrees off neutral. Google it. Lotsa hits on this. Not sure if Feedback fixed it but Ultimate shit the bed on it.

mtbr member
    Feedback Sports Pro Elite. Awesome stand. Probably the best stand out there other than the commercial Park stand you see in all the shops.
    Cannondale F29 carbon
    Cannondale Carbon Synapse
    Misfit Psycles diSSent SS

Now, THAT'S gonna hurt!
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkrmike View Post
    Feedback acquired Ultimate Support. I have an Ultimate Support stand that is the shits. Not "the shit", in a good way, but "the shits", as in a wet steaming dump. The swivel knob will not hold my bike even 5 degrees off neutral. Google it. Lotsa hits on this. Not sure if Feedback fixed it but Ultimate shit the bed on it.
    Nope, they don't build anything like that one, now. There was one of those listed on craigslist locally here about a week ago but they titled it Feedback. It was $50. I was gonna jump on it in a heartbeat for a second stand at that price...then I saw the photo. NOT! It sort of resembles the Feedback units of today but that's it.
    ALWAYS ride with a purpose.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Oh My Sack! View Post
    Nope, they don't build anything like that one, now. There was one of those listed on craigslist locally here about a week ago but they titled it Feedback. It was $50. I was gonna jump on it in a heartbeat for a second stand at that price...then I saw the photo. NOT! It sort of resembles the Feedback units of today but that's it.
    I'll post a couple of pics tomorrow. Mine is a spittin image.

Not sayin Feedback does not make a good stand. I don't know. All I can say is that Ultimate, who Feedback acquired, did not. Not mine anyway.

i need a new stand. You have convinced me to give Feedback a shot. I will order one tomorrow.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by JonathanGennick View Post
    They'll all hold a bike, but you do need to keep to mainly neutral forces when wrenching on the bike when it's in the stand.
    Yeah, I've found this to be the case with the fold-up stands. Real Park shop stands don't have this limitation for the most part though; I've got one that's well over 20 years old and it's ridiculously stable, even if I'm putting a ton of torque into trying to break free and old crank or BB. Can easily handle my full weight in addition to a bike. Not cheap, but there is no substitute IMO.

Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkrmike View Post
    Not sayin Feedback does not make a good stand. I don't know. All I can say is that Ultimate, who Feedback acquired, did not. Not mine anyway.
    Now you're worrying me. Mine goes back to those Ultimate days. Seems to always work ok, but every now and then I find myself wondering if the newer models are improved.

> /dev/null 2&>1

Quote Originally Posted by slapheadmofo View Post
    I've got one that's well over 20 years old and it's ridiculously stable, even if I'm putting a ton of torque into trying to break free and old crank or BB. Can easily handle my full weight in addition to a bike.
    For me it's not about whether the stand can handle it, that's not the problem. It's about putting that leverage on the seat post, seat tube junction, etc.

BB torque is 300 in-lbs. The seat post is, say, 17-19in from the bb, so the force at that point to hold the bike is only ~15lbs, which is a lot less than our bodies, so it's not going to break it, but it flexes a lot on the stand and it's hard to get the torque correct. I like to just put the bike on the ground for bb, lower pivot and other high torque operations.

mtbr member
    I like to just put the bike on the ground for bb, lower pivot and other high torque operations.
    I keep the bike in the stand, but I grab the bike frame for leverage. Maybe with thin carbon road frames that's not always feasible to do. My bikes aren't that high-end, so I just grab on near the dropouts when I'm torqueing a bottom-bracket.

Haven't really thought about it, but probably I grab something for counter-leverage even for stem bolts and axle bolts just to keep the bike steady in the stand. I bet I do, and it's all unconscious.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Procter View Post
    For me it's not about whether the stand can handle it, that's not the problem. It's about putting that leverage on the seat post, seat tube junction, etc.

BB torque is 300 in-lbs.
    That may be for stuff that's in decent shape, but I tend to do a fair amount of fixer-upper work on give-away bikes I 'rescue' from the dump or the side of the road, etc. BB and cranks that are pretty much fused in place aren't uncommon; full weight on a breaker bar, or beatings with a 5 lb mallet in a fit of rage are sometimes the only way to get them to break free. I tend to have the bike clamped by the frame as close to the BB as possible rather than the seatpost for this sort of operation/attack. Not something that most people will ever need to deal with of course, but I don't think there are any other stands out there that even come close to the strength and stability of the big Parks, though they're probably overkill for most home shops, specially at well over $500 for a new one with the baseplate.

But if you're looking sturdy, there's nothing else that compares IME.

Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

mtbr member
    ...but I don't think there are any other stands out there that even come close to the strength and stability of the big Parks,
    Agreed. I do like the portability of the Feedback stand though. I lack a garage and it's nice on a sunny day to be able to haul my stand from the basement into the driveway so as to enjoy being outside while I work.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Yeah, they're definitely low on the portability scale.
    I've also got a Wrench Force folder that I can throw in the truck, or as a back-up/second if I'm swapping parts between bikes or working on more than one at a time. Definitely a second banana tho after being spoiled with the PRS.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by slapheadmofo View Post
    I've also got a Wrench Force folder that I can throw in the truck, or as a back-up/second if I'm swapping parts between bikes or working on more than one at a time.
    Can't tell you how many times I've wanted a second stand for the precise same reasons. I keep my one awfully busy.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I use a park pcs 10. They come up on craigslist for much less than you can find them forsale new.

Like the above posters wrote you cant torque bottom brackets with it, but it works great for everything else.

Im also working on building a stand that will go into the hitch on my truck. Just a simple tube with a park clamp at the end.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Feedback Sports Pro Elite....."a ratchet-action closure with push-button release to get your bike in and out quickly"....these two features mean you're not holding the weight of the bike with one hand for long while you screw or unscrew the locking knob as is required with many other stands.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Bought a Park PCS-9, it should be delivered today. I have never owned an actual repair stand, and I'm looking forward to using this one.

I think we all have to remember a little bit about physics: feasibly, one could suspend a bicycle from the ceiling by tying a rope around the seat post. The rope is not likely going to cause any damage to the bike, yet it provides zero stability. On the opposite, one could mount a bench vise upside down, place your top tube in the jaws of the vise and tighten the bejeezus out of it, and it would probably hold the bike stable enough to do anything to it. However, we all know this would damage the frame.

I think it's all a compromise of support, stability, and applying leverage in ways that do not damage your ride... Working on things like motorcycles, cars, snowmobiles, etc. - the vehicle is heavy enough and sturdy enough that you can reef on fasteners without drama. A bicycle is a completely different set of circumstances.

Counting down the minutes until my Park stand arrives, can't believe I've been biking this long without an actual stand.
    Anyone ride the Rubberhead Classic in Canada, mid 90's... race and trials??

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post
    Feedback Sports Pro Elite....."a ratchet-action closure with push-button release to get your bike in and out quickly"....these two features mean you're not holding the weight of the bike with one hand for long while you screw or unscrew the locking knob as is required with many other stands.
    Kids love that push-button, btw. Both those features really, but mainly the button.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chadio View Post
    Bought a Park PCS-9, it should be delivered today. I have never owned an actual repair stand, and I'm looking forward to using this one.

I think we all have to remember a little bit about physics: feasibly, one could suspend a bicycle from the ceiling by tying a rope around the seat post. The rope is not likely going to cause any damage to the bike, yet it provides zero stability. On the opposite, one could mount a bench vise upside down, place your top tube in the jaws of the vise and tighten the bejeezus out of it, and it would probably hold the bike stable enough to do anything to it. However, we all know this would damage the frame.

I think it's all a compromise of support, stability, and applying leverage in ways that do not damage your ride... Working on things like motorcycles, cars, snowmobiles, etc. - the vehicle is heavy enough and sturdy enough that you can reef on fasteners without drama. A bicycle is a completely different set of circumstances.

Counting down the minutes until my Park stand arrives, can't believe I've been biking this long without an actual stand.
    Chadio,
    The Park stand is what I'm looking at now.
    Please give us an update when you get it.
    I'm curious to know if you like it.

turtles make me hot
    Damn... Feedback didn't have that ratchet button thing when I bought my stand. I wonder if I can buy just the head assembly?
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NYrr496 View Post
    Damn... Feedback didn't have that ratchet button thing when I bought my stand. I wonder if I can buy just the head assembly?
    The ratchet button is only on their most expensive model. They do sell just the head. Spendy though. The head is $180, and you might as well just buy a second stand at that price.

turtles make me hot
    The ratchet button is only on their most expensive model. They do sell just the head. Spendy though. The head is $180, and you might as well just buy a second stand at that price.
    Wow.. You're right. Guess I can always use another stand.
    I like turtles

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast