1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Mar 2008

Removing a chain from mountain bike

I purchased a chain removal tool from Walmart and tried to remove my chain with it. The chain rivet remained in place and busted the chain removal tool! Is there a trick to this or did I do something wrong?

Dirt Abuser
    What type of chain is it? KMC, Sram, Shimano..... does it have a masterlink?
    "Don't ride faster than your guardian angel can fly"

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I have no idea. I didn't see a master link. I want to pull it off an oId Trek 820 (2005 model). If there is an easy way to do it by cutting it, that's fine too because I do have a new chain to replace it, and a friend of mine has a tool to help me put the new one on.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by getagrip View Post
    ... a friend of mine has a tool to help me put the new one on.
    Same tool.

EDR
    I purchased a chain removal tool from Walmart and tried to remove my chain with it
    I have an '05 820 in my garage. It's got a Shimano chain I think. Anyhow sounds like you're going about it right, you just bought a super POS Chinese tool.

Anyhow you need to pop one pin out of a link and the chain will come off (using a chain tool). Measure the new chain to the same length as the one you removed and drive in a new pin. You'll snap the guide pin portion off once done. If none of this makes any sense I suggest googling "Sheldon Brown chain replacement."

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by getagrip View Post
    I purchased a chain removal tool from Walmart and tried to remove my chain with it. The chain rivet remained in place and busted the chain removal tool!
    I have to admit, I laughed out loud. Walmart quality, FTW!

Is it possible that you didn't have the pin in the tool quite lined up with the pin in the chain? In theory everything should line up automagically, but that doesn't always happen.

Since the tool is broken now, maybe just ask your friend for some help.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    well if theres no masterlink, your chain tool is broke and you have a replacement chain anyways..... go the fun route and break out the bolt cutters or a few flathead screwdrivers jammed in the links and snap that rusty thing off....

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Wow. This is embarrasing. I've got everything off the bike except the headset, bottom bracket, and everything attached to the chain! Guess I'm going to have to go back to Walmart and see what tools they have to finish the job!

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I think maybe going back to Walmart might not be the best plan

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Turns out it was the right plan. I had gone there earlier to get a refund for the other chain removal tool I purchased, and from there proceeded to several other stores that might also carry a chain removal tool, but neither store stocked one. After realizing I didn't have the proper tools at home to get the job done, I decided to go BACK to Walmart to add to my tool collection, which is pretty small. Instead of buying new tools, I pretty much said the heck with it and took my chances on another chain removal tool. Turns out that I may have been using it wrong by not placing the chain up against the thicker metal wall of the tool (not that this was explained very well in the instructions - basically, there are two notches that the chain will go into, one is supported by a thicker metal wall on the edge of the tool, and the other is supported by another notch). This time I was able to get the chain off no problem.