1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.

Thread: Removing Chain

spec4life???..smh...

New question here. Removing Chain

Ok so I read the basic cleaning and mantinence guide and i understand gow to clean my chain, but I cant figure out how to get it off my bike.

I know it days that you push in the little pins on the link and it comes apart, but my ? is is their a certain link that only comes apart and do you have to have a special tool to do it with.

Any other tips to make this job easier would be appreciated.

Hazzah!
    Dec 2003
    what kind of chain?...

spec4life???..smh...
    KMC X8, 1/2" x 3/32" w/ reusable Missing Link

didit know it mattered, shows you how much i know

mtbr member
    The Missing Link is usually gold/brass in color. Here's a pic:

You can sort of see how it works...you push the two flanking links towards the center of the Missing Link, and the pins slide into the larger holes, allowing you to pull the pins out. While not as easy as the SRAM Powerlink (matter of opinion), it just takes a little fussing around. You'll get it.

spec4life???..smh...
    alright ill look for it when i get home from work, Thanks

you dont have to have any special tool though do ya

Ride the dream
    Personally I prefer the missinglink to Sram's powerlink, but again just personal preferrence.

The only PITA is that mine is the brass colour on a gold chain (ti-ni coating)

Mountain Cyclist
    Oct 2007
    if it doesnt have a missing/powerlink then yes a special tool is needed. if it does, you just need fingers

which raises my question...

does it weaken the chain when you slide a pin out to remove it using a chain tool? i noticed on the chain tool some very small metal "o rings" around the pin attached to the tool...i seem to add a new one on there every time i pop out a pin.

mtbr member
    If you do have a Missing Link, you don't need a tool.
    If you don't have the Missing Link (or you can't locate it) then pick up one of these. You'll need one anyway if you ever install a new chain (you'll have to size the chain and remove the extra links).

spec4life???..smh...
    hey hey i got the chain off thanks for all the help and especially the pic Mr. mook sure help me spot it easier.

one last thing any suggestions for a particular lube and degreaser that i can pick up localy at walmart or an automative store?

How about just household cleaners such as fantastic?

mtbr member
    I use Simple Green, typically, but if I happen to have a can of this laying around, it's freekin' awesome:

Then get yourself a nice bottle of lube, like Pedros SynLube:

Do not use WD-40. It's simply a water dispersant, and not a lube. Sure....it's slippery....but it evaporates very quickly and leaves your bearings and bushings free to collect grit and moisture.

spec4life???..smh...
    well once again thanks for all the help folks...

Ended up using grease lightning and following the steps in the cleaning guide to degrease which went smoothly and cleaned the chain nicely..

Then i just ordered some Boeshield T-9 lube and will hopefully be here by the time i get my bike completly cleaned..

This is my first "strip down the bike and dgrease and lube every part" atempt so wish me luck

College Boy
    Quote Originally Posted by jrcxu
    if it doesnt have a missing/powerlink then yes a special tool is needed. if it does, you just need fingers

which raises my question...

does it weaken the chain when you slide a pin out to remove it using a chain tool? i noticed on the chain tool some very small metal "o rings" around the pin attached to the tool...i seem to add a new one on there every time i pop out a pin.
    Yes the weaken the chain by quite a bit when you use the chain tool and put it back on. It will be the spot the chain will most likely break.

I have a powerlink on my bike and I love it. Makes it a heck of a lot easier to take the chain on and off.

Dirt Deviant
    When you lube up your chain, or anything on the bike for that matter, don't get a single drop of oil or grease on your rotors ( if you have disc brakes) or on you rim's braking surface (if you have V brakes)

It will ruin your pads and braking will suffer to the point of being dangerous.
    Look, whatever happens, don't fight the mountain.