1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    lipship

New question here. Anonymous abuse is for cowardly mugs..

Anonymous abuse is for cowardly mugs..
    Last edited by lipship; 08-13-2012 at 01:06 PM.

mtbr member
    You'll need a front 20mm hub to work with a 20mm fork. Most hubs are not convertible from QR to 20mm so you'd be looking at buying a new front wheel or lacing a new hub onto your existing rim.
    Origin 8 Scout 29
    Rodriquez Adventure

Blog

lipship
    Anonymous abuse is for cowardly mugs..
    Last edited by lipship; 08-13-2012 at 12:51 PM.

psycho cyclo addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Bike Whisperer View Post
    You'll need a front 20mm hub to work with a 20mm fork. Most hubs are not convertible from QR to 20mm so you'd be looking at buying a new front wheel or lacing a new hub onto your existing rim.
    I bought a set of Stan's rims last month... their HD front hub is convertible between 9/15 and 20mm which is great because I have 29er's of all three varieties up front.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by edubfromktown View Post
    I bought a set of Stan's rims last month... their HD front hub is convertible between 9/15 and 20mm which is great because I have 29er's of all three varieties up front.
    Yep, more and more aftermarket hubs are convertible but generally OEM spec hubs on a bike that comes with a low to middle end front fork are not going to be.
    Origin 8 Scout 29
    Rodriquez Adventure

Blog

Members who have read this thread: 1