1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jul 2012

Regretable bike purchase?

After searching for quite a while, I finally came across something that peaked my interest. I dont have a picture at the moment but here is a link to a description.

Search Listing

I paid 180 for it. Its worn and scratched, its seen use,band for some reason down the line someone decided to remove anything that would sugest this bike had a left hand shifter which includes the shifter, derauiler, chain guard and all front end cogs except for one. To replace those components will take some green. What would you suggest I do next with this thing?

EDIT: I would just like to mention that the chain falls off all the time so one way or another I need to make some type of alteration. Would a simple chain guard help keep it in check?
    Last edited by propane1909; 08-04-2012 at 07:39 AM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    So is it set up as a 1 x 9? I would leave it like it is and ride it.

Single(Pivot)and Happy
    I would drop the negative attitude towards your new-to-you bike purchase and ride your bike. I would not put money into it except for items that wear out (tires, tubes).

Have fun on the trails.
    The suspension of your bike sucks if it's different than mine. Really. It sucks. Big time.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    The drive components you have wear and probably will need replacing at some point. So at that point you could put on a new chain,12-36 cassette and front ring or rings and derailleur and shifter. Measure the chain for wear beyond exactly 12 inches to see where you are now. 1x10 with a clutch rear derailleur and new shifter might be an option at change point. 9 speed rings work with 10sp chain.

local trails rider
    Is everything that is on the bike working OK?

If yes, go and ride it.

Lots of people are now converting their bikes to 1x9 (or whatever number of rear cogs they have). They have found that all they ever use is the one chainring.

edit:
    it is not a bike that I'd want to upgrade much. Keep it in riding order? Definitely.

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I would just like to mention that the chain falls off all the time, so one way or another I need to make some type of alteration. Would a simple chain guard help keep it in check?

local trails rider
    There's a number of ways to ensure the chain stays on. A bashring with something like an N-gear Jumpstop is one. Then there's various chain guides and even a front derailer locked in place.

I'm pretty sure the Drivetrain section has many threads on keeping the chain on a 1x9.

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

mtbr member
    It would - but it is also possible that the chain is too long (not enough tension on the chain can cause it to drop when riding in bumpy conditions)

put the rear into the biggest gear on the back, and check to see how much extra chain you have - you may be able to take out a link or three.....

no trees are safe
    For now... ride it. If you find your self missing the other cogs then consider swaping it.

local trails rider
    Quote Originally Posted by 006_007 View Post
    ... it is also possible that the chain is too long (not enough tension on the chain can cause it to drop when riding in bumpy conditions)

put the rear into the biggest gear on the back, and check to see how much extra chain you have - you may be able to take out a link or three.....
    Excellent point that I totally missed...

For many, but not all, a correctly shortened chain is all it takes.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by 006_007 View Post
    It would - but it is also possible that the chain is too long (not enough tension on the chain can cause it to drop when riding in bumpy conditions)

The chain doesn't have the slightest give under those conditions. I guess it might have to be the bashguard then. For the life of me I cannot understand why someone felt the need to remove even that on the bike.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    My 1 x 10 has one of these on it. e*thirteen components Bike is lighter without all those extra gears on it. I live in the flatlands so I don't miss the few gears I am missing.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Put a bashwich on it. Do a search.
    The single front ring is good depending on the terrain, nice and simple.