mtbr member
    Sep 2014

reducing wear on droputs from quick release bolts

Hi there ,

I picked up a nice second hand mountain bike and I had to replace the front fork(FOX) as the dropouts were deangerously worn thin . The rear dropouts are also very much eaten away . I was wondering , is there anything that can be done to reduce the wear and the eating away factor of using quick release systems on that soft dropout metal ? Common sense tells me that tightening the quick release as much as possible would reduce play and wear . Also taking the wheel on and off as little as possible would seem like a good idea . Could I put a spacer in there to take the bite from the QR bolts serrated edge ?

Thanks , going to try and stretch this bikes life out as long as I can .

mtbr member
    You need the serrated edges on the skewers to prevent movement. Though I have seen a few messed up aluminum dropouts over the years it is rare and definitely no cause for concern. Use decent skewers and tighten them firmly (not as tight as possible!) and don't worry about how many times you remove the wheel.

since 4/10/2009
    get a bike with thru axles

'Tis but a scratch
    Nov 2011
    I would suspect that if a dropout was "dangerously worn thin" that the bike was ridden for a period with the QR loose. A decent quality QR, tightened properly should not be wearing out a dropout.

Moderator Moderator
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by huffster View Post
    I would suspect that if a dropout was "dangerously worn thin" that the bike was ridden for a period with the QR loose. A decent quality QR, tightened properly should not be wearing out a dropout.
    Yeah, there's gotta be something really weird going on - in all my years of riding, I've never seen or even heard of a problem with dropouts wearing thin. I'd love to see a couple pics of this; as mentioned, how would this even happen unless you're riding on a regular basis with the wheels loose. You'd think this would be something that most people would notice, particular when the rear wheel keeps falling off the bike everytime you pick it up.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by slapheadmofo View Post
    Yeah, there's gotta be something really weird going on - in all my years of riding, I've never seen or even heard of a problem with dropouts wearing thin. I'd love to see a couple pics of this; as mentioned, how would this even happen unless you're riding on a regular basis with the wheels loose. You'd think this would be something that most people would notice, particular when the rear wheel keeps falling off the bike everytime you pick it up.

Crappy skewers mostly IME, some people ride around with their wheels slightly loose all the time and don't realize it. It isn't common but I have seen a few seriously gouged up aluminum droupouts.

because GIANT
    I have seen people use QR's incorrectly and close them, then crank on them like the new DTswiss ratchet skewers (you do NOT do with old-skool skewers) so that might be why they wore out the dropouts....being cranked down in a rotary fashion instead of open-lever, tighten, then close lever