1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member

New question here. Recovery 1-2-3's

Everything I read about post ride nutrition contradicts everything else I read about post ride nutrition. My recovery time after long rides is sporadic because I don't really know the post ride priorities. Please advise. Also, I ride a singlespeed, so simplicity is key for my information absorption. Thanks.

What?...Where?
    This is going vary wildly depending on the person, but what works for me is ~20 oz. of Endurox F4 (Fruit Punch = Yum), and some sort of energy bar. If I don't have any energy bars, some peanut butter on whole wheat toast make a good subsitute. This provides the protein needed for muscle rebuilding and some quick calories to keep energy up. I usually end up drinking a lot of water following that to flush the system.

A little note I the Endurox, I don't mix it full strength, usually 1/2 of the recommended # of powder.

Hope this helps a bit.

-Bink

mtbr member
    May 2006
    1 hydration, and electrolytes, sip some cool not cold juice half diluted with water slowly.

2 Streach out the muscles.

3 Replenish the muscle glycogen, eat enough calories, in a good carb/protein/fat ratio to replace the calories consumed. Think ice cream or yougurt fruit smoothies, with ground flax.

1 Complete in first 5 to 10 minutes

2 Complete in the first 20 minutes

3 Complete within 2 hours.

The goals can be achieved with many OTC formulas, or just some good foods, what ever is easiest.

I like good foods best.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffscott
    1 hydration, and electrolytes, sip some cool not cold juice half diluted with water slowly.

2 Streach out the muscles.

3 Replenish the muscle glycogen, eat enough calories, in a good carb/protein/fat ratio to replace the calories consumed. Think ice cream or yougurt fruit smoothies, with ground flax.

1 Complete in first 5 to 10 minutes

2 Complete in the first 20 minutes

3 Complete within 2 hours.

The goals can be achieved with many OTC formulas, or just some good foods, what ever is easiest.

I like good foods best.
    That there's good advice.

I try and get some electrolytes and sugars right after or during the ride. I feel that helps with recovery and increases potential activity for the next day.

Longer time period would be looking for protien and healthy carbs and fats.

All this can be accomplished by eating the rite foods or by buying special formulas, personal preference as to which way you go.

There's no app for this.

what jeff said and

my poor man's guide after years of Clif Bars and the like: (strangely they don't seem to help me, but PB& J does )

I always take at least 1 PB&J sandwich on a ride, and if I feel a bit wobbly, I stop and eat. As Jeff said, hydrate. If you ain't peeing clear, you ain't hydrated.

A friend in AZ had a special recipe I also like: soft tortilla shell, spread with PB and honey, wrap in Saran or similar.

I always head straight for protein of any kind right after a ride, it means iIwon't cramp up later, which I will if I don't get some protein.

Hope that helps, Jim

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I come home and sleep on the couch for 2 or 3 hours.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JimC.
    If you ain't peeing clear, you ain't hydrated.
    Not always true have you heard of water intoxication or hyponatremia? Clear pee can be an indicator. You dont want to have dark yellow pee, but not clear either.

There's no app for this.

sure but

lots more riders die of dehydration than water intoxication or hyponatremia. Not so much of an issue in cooler areas but in desert climes and dry sunny areas, too much is better than too little, generally speaking.

However you're correct for some athletes & plain old hikers:

"Prolonged exercise in a hot environment, especially in patients who hydrate aggressively with hypoosmolar (dextrose) fluids during exertion (Severe symptomatic hyponatremia has been reported in marathon runners and in recreational hikers in the Grand Canyon.)

source

...anhow, as CamelBak says "hydrate or die"

Jim

mtbr member

thanks

excellent. i can see now that i lacked balance and consistency. thanks everyone.

mtbr member
    Large glass of water followed by a large glass of beer. Repeat until you get sick of water.
    I call for a mandate to allow only road bikes on trails to limit our speeds and increase our line picking skills-FB