1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    May 2007

New question here. Recover stolen bike?

Whats the best way to recover a stolen bike? When I went to college in Daytona FL. the campus security engraved my drivers license number below the bottom bracket. The explanation was that if it had gotten stolen they could just punch in the number and track me down. When my brothers were kids my mom would write their name and address on a piece of paper and slide it inside the handle bar. When my brother had his bike stolen they went to the kids house and got the kids father to pull the grip off the bike and they found the paper. They got the bike back. Anybody else have any ideas?

There's no app for this.

the best way

is to watch it like a hawk and never have it stolen.

If it is expensive and you want to really be sure to get it back, then Lojack is the way to go.

Jim

http://www.lojack.com/pdf/MCHowitworksDiagram.pdf

mtbr member
    Most bike frames have a serial # below the BB. Just write that down - or better yet, keep the receipt with the serial # available.

But with that being said, it's highly unlikely that you'll ever recover a bicycle. By the time you report it to the police, it'll probably be listed on Ebay or it'll be stripped of its components. I don't know what the statistics are but they're probably like 1 or 2% in terms of their recovery rate.

The only way to defend yourself is to prevent it from getting stolen in the first place. Keep your bike in your living room (like I do) and never use it for commuting unless you have a secure place to store it. ie. Inside your friends house, in your cubicle, etc.

Personally, I use a $50 dept. store bike when I'm riding to the corner store.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Insurance would be a better option than relying on the police to recover something.

Besides, the chances of it coming back in the same condition before it was stolen would be less than zero.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I have never had a bike stolen on me(thankfully) and my tactic is just to keep it inside when I am not riding and when I am riding I just don't get off of it. I also photograph the bike's serial number and basic shots on film not digital. On that note: does anyone have any experience insuring a bike?

mtbr member
    I find that the police don't take things like a stolen bike too seriously, they are too busy writing tickets and generating revinue rather than crime prevention.
    That being said, you may want to check out the local pawn shops and look on Craigslist to see if they are dumb enough to post it.