1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member

Recommendation for a New Fork! A beginner needs your help!

Hello everyone. I need a fork for the bike that I've purchased below:
    http://www.cannondale.com/gbr/2013/bikes/mountain/hardtail/trail-sl/trail-sl-4

I have a large size bike (27.5 right?) and I am willing to pay 200-350$ max! I need a fork that is 1.5 kilos or less and was considering Rock Shox Reba (Rl or Rlt? What's the difference) or one of Magura shox (Anything made in germany never failed me so far). By the way, I will buy it from Ebay as I buy everything from there and my criteria is for Ebay prices. For ex: A Reba that is 500$ can be found for 350$ on Ebay! So I need the fork pricing at 200-350 on Ebay! What do you guys recommend? My shocks are around 2.5 kilos I usually commute on the roads but want to go to Trails often as well. This is my second mountain bike and I had a 2009 Trek 4300 Disc before. I will appreciate your help. Thanks...
    Sarp
    Last edited by sarputso; 01-13-2014 at 04:13 AM. Reason: spelling error

rebmem rbtm
    Apr 2007
    (27.5 right?)
    No, 27.5" is a wheel size, 26" and 29" are also wheel sizes.

The Specifications say ..... Tires: Schwalbe Rapid Rob, 26x2.1

This means that your bike has 26" wheels and you'll need a fork for 26" wheels.

Forks have either straight 1 1/8" steering tubes or tapered 1.5" to 1 1/8" steering tubes.

The Specifications also say ..... Headset: Tange Reducer 1.5 - 1-1/8"

I'd say this means your frame has a tapered head tube with a reducer headset to fit a fork with a straight 1 1/8" steering tube.

If it does you could put on a fork with a 1.5" to 1 1/8" tapered steering tube if you change the headset setup.

You can use a fork with a straight 1 1/8" steering tube without changing anything.

In your price range the following forks might also be worth looking at:

Manitou R7 Pro is about 1.5kg
    Manitou Marvel Pro is about 1.5kg
    Manitou Minute Pro is about 1.6kg

CRC has some good prices on forks: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/u...spension-forks

mtbr member

Recommendation for a New Fork! A beginner needs your help!

Ha ha you can tell I am just a beginner cause I got confused with the terms a little So these you mentioned are actually better than the ones that i've listed? I am newbie but I am a type of person that researches immense amount of time on anything I buy and always buy the best/quality/value of anything. Qulity, reliability, build, guarantee,etc are all important factors. I really appreciate your help. Thanks a lot...

Sarp

Quote Originally Posted by cobba View Post
    No, 27.5" is a wheel size, 26" and 29" are also wheel sizes.

The Specifications say ..... Tires: Schwalbe Rapid Rob, 26x2.1

This means that your bike has 26" wheels and you'll need a fork for 26" wheels.

Forks have either straight 1 1/8" steering tubes or tapered 1.5" to 1 1/8" steering tubes.

The Specifications also say ..... Headset: Tange Reducer 1.5 - 1-1/8"

I'd say this means your frame has a tapered head tube with a reducer headset to fit a fork with a straight 1 1/8" steering tube.

If it does you could put on a fork with a 1.5" to 1 1/8" tapered steering tube if you change the headset setup.

You can use a fork with a straight 1 1/8" steering tube without changing anything.

In your price range the following forks might also be worth looking at:

Manitou R7 Pro is about 1.5kg
    Manitou Marvel Pro is about 1.5kg
    Manitou Minute Pro is about 1.6kg

CRC has some good prices on forks: | Chain Reaction Cycles

rebmem rbtm
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by sarputso View Post
    So these you mentioned are actually better than the ones that i've listed?
    I'd say they're of similar quality to the Reba's, I don't know how they'd compare to Magura forks.

The R7's have 30mm stanchions which makes them slightly more flexible then the Marvel's and Minute's which have 32mm stanchions like the Reba's.

mtbr member
    There are a few things that you need to consider when purchasing a new fork.
    1. Steer tube length. Is it long enough? If its too short, it wont work.
    2. Steer tube Diameter. 1 1/8", Tapered, or 1.5" ?
    3. Axle size. 9mm QR, 15mm, or 20mm? You need the correct axle size on the fork to fit your wheelsets hubs. Otherwise you need new hubs or wheels.
    4. Travel/ Axle to crown height. Axle to crown is the most important as it determines the effect on geometry that the new fork will have. Travel is important because it effects A-C height. Normally you dont want to go more than 20mm of travel than what your frame was designed for. For instance, your bike has 100mm of travel. So try to find something in the 100-120 range.
    Name:  100_o.jpg
Views: 394
Size:  25.8 KB

mtbr member
    Appreciate your help! Thank you for taking time to reply...

Quote Originally Posted by cobba View Post
    I'd say they're of similar quality to the Reba's, I don't know how they'd compare to Magura forks.

The R7's have 30mm stanchions which makes them slightly more flexible then the Marvel's and Minute's which have 32mm stanchions like the Reba's.

mtbr member
    Thank you very much. I will consider your suggestion.

TRAIL SL 4 - Trail SL - Hardtail - Mountain - Bikes - 2013

mtbr member
    Any recommandation for a quality multi tool set? Crank brothers?

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Can't go wrong with the crankbrother's or park multitools. I've used the crankbrother's knock-off from Nashbar and so far it's worked ok. The problem with the larger "21-function" multitools, it normally means you just have an extra cumbersome tool to hold onto while trying to tighten a bolt in a tight place. It's good to have if you're far off the grid and have to be completely self reliant for repairs. If you're within walking distance to anything resembling civilization, I'd limit my multi-tool to the basic hex keys, torx key and philips screwdriver, especially if you're riding with someone that has the "21-function" multi-tool.
    Park Tool Co. AWS-9 : Fold Up Hex Wrench Set : Hex Wrenches
    Park Tool IB-2 I-Beam Mini Fold Up Tool | Park Tool | Brand | www.PricePoint.com

mtbr member
    I've decided on this tool:

++ multi19 :: crankbrothers.com ++

and this to hold it in place:

Original Speedsleev | Speedsleev Retention System :: Welcome

I ride alone and usually between the city limits but where I live, the bike shops are not close and they rip you off to you pants! I want to learn how to fix my own stuff so I just got a Zefal Tire Patch kit to fix my first blown tube I ride my bike to be in shape and to go trails so weight is not a huge issue. I am also using Youtube for bike fixing lessons Thank you very much for the help. Glad I became a member here. Might ask more questions in the very near future...

R.I.P. DogFriend
    Quote Originally Posted by sarputso View Post
    I've decided on this tool:

++ multi19 :: crankbrothers.com ++
    I have that exact multi-tool. It's a quality multi-tool. The metal canister is OK for putting into a Camelbak, but a little bulky for sliding into a pocket, so sometimes I just leave the canister at home.

When you have used up the Zefal patch kit, if you're looking to try something else, the Park Tool super-patches are good for a quick, down and dirty trailside patch, and the Lezyne patch kit is also recommended the same situations:

Lezyne Patch Kits

For regular tire patching duty in the garage at home, the good ol' glue and patch method works well.