1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    May 2008

Recommend some grippy pedals!

It has finally happened I am starting to ride better then my current bike allows. I am to the point that the impacts I am taking with my bike my feet shoot/slip off the pedals causing some close calls with my man hood. So I need to start upgrading first off I would like to get some new pedals I am thinking about platform pedals since I also ride my bike around town and would like to not have to carry an extra pair of shoes around. So who can recommend some ultra grippy pedals that are reasonably priced.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I was happy with my Crank Bros 5050 for a while. Combined with some skate shoes with sticky, flat soles, they provided pretty good traction. I did have some of the pins fall out, Lock tight applied to the threads would have fixed this.

Still, riding rooty trails, I found myself slipping and cutting my legs up pretty bad. I went to clipless and bought touring shoes for easier walking. For platforms, the right shoe makes a big difference. I had good luck with the vans, many people on this site recommend five ten shoes with platforms.

I AM I AM
    This is a frequently asked question on the forum, I suggest a search using a term such as "best pedals".

I ride DMR V12 (mag) so naturally I would recommend them - or the more affordable version the V8
    Others worth looking at:
    Wellgo MG-1 , these are light, affordable and have sealed bearings
    Shimano DX
    And really many many more brands, so as long as you have sealed bearings and replaceable pins, the rest really comes down to personal taste and budget.

Something else bound to come up in dicussions is that a good set of shoes (like 5.10s) will go a long way and it can make all the difference.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I have the Crankbrothers 5050XX as well. I like em, but the pins do get lose a bit. I just have to get around to picking up some locktight and it should be alright. But all in all, paired with the right shoe, they do provide a lot of grip and a real nice wide platform

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ducktape
    This is a frequently asked question on the forum, I suggest a search using a term such as "best pedals".

I ride DMR V12 (mag) so naturally I would recommend them - or the more affordable version the V8
    Others worth looking at:
    Wellgo MG-1 , these are light, affordable and have sealed bearings
    Shimano DX
    And really many many more brands, so as long as you have sealed bearings and replaceable pins, the rest really comes down to personal taste and budget.

Something else bound to come up in dicussions is that a good set of shoes (like 5.10s) will go a long way and it can make all the difference.
    If the search function worked as good as it should I would agree with you, but tbh it's one of the worst I've come across. Not to knock the site administrators or anything since I'm guessing it's just a built in module they use as opposed to a custom coded one. But bottom line is it sucks.

As per the OP: The best upgrade, pedals aside, is some gummy skate shop shoes. Vans, ES, etc... They provide me with loads of grip on trails plagued with roots.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I will have to look into getting shoes (i ride with some old running shoes right now), and as far as pedals go I want to stay away from the 5050xx i have heard so so things about them.

I AM I AM
    Agree on the search function, not always effective, LOL I'm sure everyone has a "search natzi (sp?) day" at some stage, this must have been my turn!

Swmarc, what pedals are you currently riding anyway?

don't move for trees
    soljam viper pedals, supper grippy specially when combined with some 5.10 shoes. If it isn't enough replace every other pin with one thats a 1/8th of an inch long, beware this will destroy your shins if slip a pedal
    "Get a bicycle.You will not regret it if you live." Mark Twain

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Wellgo MG1, but watch out, they'll tear the hell out of your shins. They gripped like mad with just plain old walmart 'skate' shoes.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I have a pair of Dark Cycles Arachnids and couldn't be happier. I would suggest shin guards with any "grippy" pedal though.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by BKnight
    soljam viper pedals, supper grippy specially when combined with some 5.10 shoes. If it isn't enough replace every other pin with one thats a 1/8th of an inch long, beware this will destroy your shins if slip a pedal

just got these myself and have two rides on them. I just use some old teva shoes (not sandals) and the grip is great. When the tevas fall apart I am going to look into the 5.10's.
    And they pins have already caught the back of my leg pretty good.
    2008 Cannondale F4
    Shimano XT brakes, ice tech rotors.

mtbr member
    Definitely pick up the 5.10 shoes. The difference they make will far exceed any nuances between pedal choice.

dh1
    mtbr member
    Have you considered clipless? Your foot can't slip off!

If you don't want clipless, the other answer is right...buy better shoes. Running shoes have very tough soles so you can put tons of miles running into them. The result is they are slippery when wet, especially on pedal cages.

Some sticky sole shoes like skate shoes would work, but I prefer my clipless.