1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2012

Recommend me a nice budget bike helmet

any good bike helmets for $40-$50...?

What could go wrong ...
    they all meet the same specs ... find the one that fits the best
    I used to ride to Win ... Now I ride to Grin

While my guitar gently weeps, my bike sits there mocking me

mtbr member
    I have a Giro Indicator. It's a nice helmet and I think I payed $40.00 for it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Bell Ukon Sport Helmet - HELMETS

Cheap as hell and gets good reviews.
    ~ 2011 GT Avalanche 2.0
    ~ 1993 Diamondback Topanga
    ~ 2012 Diamondback Overdrive Expert

I bought my last Giro (don't remember the model) at REI. I used my annual dividend and 20% off coupon on it and got it for less than $20. just find one that fits.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I wouldn't haggle with price to protect my skull from cracking..., but GIRO seems to be a good choice.

mtbr member
    On a side note Bell makes Giro. I noticed when I looked inside mine to see what model it is.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2

undercover brother
    I picked up a pretty nice Scattante helmet at performance the other day. Looks pretty slick and fits great. I think I payed 49.99 for it.

local trails rider
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoke2 View Post
    This!

Go to some shop that sells bike helmets. Ttry all their models. Go to another shop too if you have alternatives.

Buy the one that you can make comfortable.

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Just bought a Giro Feature off of Amazon a couple months ago, I think it was a little cheaper when I got it but they currently have the helmet for $59.50 with free shipping- Amazon.com: Giro Feature Mountain Bike Helmet: Sports & Outdoors.

I picked up the Feature after a bad wreck that cracked my old Giro. I stayed with Giro because it kept my noggin safe in an accident that could have been much, much worse. I like the Feature better than my last Giro because of the extra coverage for the back of my head (where the impact was on my last one), and it is a really nice helmet. IMO the Feature is worth more than $60. Check out the reviews of the Feature here, there are a bunch of great reviews that describe the helmet perfectly. Only downside is that it gets pretty hot and my head is always soaked with sweat after a ride, but its more than worth it for the protection.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Yes, all helmets must meet the same specs. I would also recommend buying from a place where you can try them on.

I'd rather be on my bike
    I am very happy with both of the Bell Slant helmets that I bought. The last one I got from Performance Bike for $29.99. Score!

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I used a Bell Yukon helmet as of last week, until it saved my skull. Luckily I didn't get a concussion, so I can only thank the helmet. It was pretty cheap I think but as people have said before, they all meet the same specs, to a degree.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    i decided to get the black/yellow Giro Rift

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Bell Slant or the Influx are nice helmets that get the job done. I got the Influx on sale and I have no complaints at all with it.

T.W.O
    I wouldn't skimp on something that protects you from cracking your dome piece. Depends on what trails you are actually riding. We can't recommend helmets to fit your head everyone is different. Just go to your bike shop and try as many different styles on as you can. No, you don't have to pay $100 for a helmet, but I wouldn't pay $30 if I was doing singletrack.
    ------__o
    ----_`\<,_
    ---(_)/ (_)

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    As stated, all helmets you buy are going to meet the same specs. Higher price gets you lighter weight, better airflow and bold new graphics. I agree that you don't want to skimp when buying safety gear, but in the case of bike helmets, they all do the job to the same level. All of them need to be replaced after taking a hard blow.

Definitely buy one where you can try it on first. Comfort is key. I looked at all the helmets Performance had and the Giro Indicator was on sale for $30. Tried some of the higher priced models but felt no different on my head. My son got a Bell over the Giro because he said it was more comfortable. I tried the bell and it sucked for my head shape. Try before you buy.

banned
    Jul 2012
    Iím using a Bell helmet. It worked well for me.

Probably drunk right now

2nd ^^This^^

Quote Originally Posted by Zoke2 View Post
    I've been all over the map and back with helmets. I've ridden $20 cheap and $150 pricey.

The only difference between the two is weight and ventilation. If you're hitting 6-8 hour rides, a little weight on top of your head adds up.

If you're only riding an hour or two, weight is less important.

Airflow matters in any case and is number 3 on my consideration list:

1. Fit: If it's not comfortable, it's going to suck.

2. Price: Unless I win it at a raffle, my days of buying $100+ helmets are done.

3. Airflow

4. Weight

If I were willing to pay more money, I'd move price down to #4 and the other criteria would index up.
    JPark - 3.5- don't listen to dremer

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    try before you buy. I've looked at a lot of reviews but reviews sometimes don't agree with your noggin. Goodluck.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Several people in my area have new UVEX helmets that they really like and they said were very cheap. I thought they looked great too. Worth a look, maybe they have been on sale because people aren't accustomed to looking at UVEX for their next helmet.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Try some Louis Garneau helmets. Looks good most are on sale. Doesn't look like a mushroom on your head. Actually own Garneau Edge and a Scattante from performance bikes.

mtbr member
    I just picked up a Bell "Adrenaline" at Wallyworld the other day for $21.97.

It's not the ventiest helment, but I counted 16, it's got a removeable visor, and the colors match my bike.

I tried on a few, and this one fits great. It's got the "spin adjust" system, so you just spin a thumbwheel on the back of the helmet and it tightens the inside straps. Adjusting the chinstraps was super easy, and after a bit of getting used to it this morning on my first ride with it, I forgot it was there. I road a hair less than 3 hours total, but had it on longer than that...I stopped to take a few breaks at the beach and didn't bother taking it off.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Luclin999 View Post
    Bell Ukon Sport Helmet - HELMETS

Cheap as hell and gets good reviews.
    I got one of these on sale at Performance (Nashbar/Performance exclusive it appears). Noone around here has, for example the Bell Stoker or Super in stock and I was afraid to buy online without trying as I have a big and long oval head.

The Ukon is one size fits all, and oddly enough was the most comfortable helmet I tried at the Performance store, including the Fox Flux, several Giros, and a couple of Garneau. So going ultra cheap worked out so far.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nova_xxx View Post
    any good bike helmets for $40-$50...?
    I'm fairly new, so take this with a grain of salt... but:

Check out places like GearTrade.com for helmets. I just got a brand new, $150 Bell Volt for $30 b/c it was missing the visor (replacement is $5 from Amazon). !
    Rider Specs: new grand master of the "tactical dismount and barrel roll" combo

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast