1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Oct 2007

recommend me a new saddle

I got a free saddle from a buddy for a build it does not have the channel in the middle for the relief.. Just wondering whats good confy seat and light out there? recommend me a seat !

mtbr member
    For a saddle thats comfortable a light check out the Rocket V Race by WTB. Personally speaking it's the most comfortable saddle I have ridden yet and I dont plan on switching any time soon.
    LIVE TO RIDE - RIDE TO LIVE

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    thx i will take a look at it at the bike shop after work.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by tpliquid
    I got a free saddle from a buddy for a build it does not have the channel in the middle for the relief.. Just wondering whats good confy seat and light out there? recommend me a seat !
    Saddles are tough to recommend, as everyone is built a little bit different. For example, I am not fond of WTB saddles, but really like the E3 Form and the Forte slk from performance bike. Both are very light, and reasonably priced. Of the two I prefer the E3 for mountain riding, but the Forte has a cut out in the middle which seems to help on my roadie/commuter bike. I'd set you up with a link, but currently my browser isn't loading the page performancebike.com . (I have a spotty connection here). I would recommend seeing if you could go into a bike shop on a slow day and see if they are willing to let you try several out.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    As has been stated, saddles are a very personal thing. One that I can recommend is the Koobi. I have an older SI model and it has been comfortable and durable, surviving several hard crashes.

Smokey

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Idriver
    For a saddle thats comfortable a light check out the Rocket V Race by WTB. Personally speaking it's the most comfortable saddle I have ridden yet and I dont plan on switching any time soon.
    I'll second that.

Closekids.com
    Brooks pro is a great saddle with a bunch of positive reviews.

mtbr member
    if the best matters, then get a brooks. flame away.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I got a WTB Rocket V Team based on reviews on this site and the sale price on beyondbikes.com ($80, normal $130). Anyway, the saddle is tiny but was supposedly correct for my sitbone width (get yours measured at a LBS). At first I thought I had finally gone too small, and it was torturesly hard. But, just as the reviews said, the thing broke in and now it actually flexes vertically quite a lot, but only on hits so it seems solid otherwise. I really love it, and it has held up very nicely so far. I think for my riding style (lots of off saddle time, e.g. behind the saddle, in front of, etc), this small saddle is great (easy to manuver around). There are several Rocket V models, check out their website and the "features matrix", they are not all the same, with only the most expensive models having the "flex shell" and "dna padding", the Rocket V Team just makes the cut. The models without these features may not be as comfortable. I think a comfortable saddle is just as important as a plush shock, its no fun having a sore ass after every ride, I got no more sore ass since going to the Rocket V.

don't thread on me
    +1 on the WTB. I have a Rocket Pro V-SE with Kevlar . Bought for $69 at Performance Bike.

Love it...comfortable from day one and better with age.

GO BUY ONE!
    sign here ________________________

responsible zombie owner
    Rocket V is my next saddle... I'll have to check which ones don't 'make the cut'.

Definitely avoid anything too squishy or without a channel. Your twig'n'berries will appreciate it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    thanks guys.. i'll goto the shop sunday and get my butt measured lol!

Rub it............
    I run the Speed V on my full suspension and hardtail.