1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Recommend me a good repair book/manual please

Well I am just sort of getting into cycling and I would like to do some of my own maintenance and repairs to my bike but I really don't know where to start. I have found a few decent sites online but would like to pick up a book or repair manual that would help me with procedures and techniques.

So please, recommend some good books to me, preferably reasonably affordable ones, but if I need to spend a bit of money to get a GOOD one then I will.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

-Bryce

mtbr member
    ZINN & The Art of Mountain Bike Maintenance
    by Lennard Zinn
    400 page book that covers everything from basic maintenance to rebuilding.

You can also get many tips for free on the Park Tool website.
    http://www.parktool.com/repair/

mtbr member

Nervous Descender
    Second Leonard Zinn's book. Excellent.
    Check out some of our local hills: CDRC (Capital District Road Climbs)

mtbr member
    Zinn's book is excellent.

Don't forget about the bike maintenance sticky at the top of this forum. lots of very good stuff there too...

Also check out your LBS or REI for free or very inexpensive repair workshops. REI holds one where you bring your bike to the workshop. Learned lots of good stuff there.

Cheezy Rider
    You'll sometimes need special tools when working on a bike. Consider picking up cable cutters--you can get by without them, but they're nice to have. And a toolkit, it's cheaper than buying them piecemeal. Here's an OK cheapie:
    http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?c...bcat%3A%20Kits

mtbr member
    I very much like "Mountain Bike Maintenance" by Mel Allwood. I have Zinn as well, but Allwood has good photos and is a much quicker read. If you're just beginning, I recommend Allwood first, and maybe Zinn later if you need him.

mtbr member
    The Park Tool website is all I ever use. Maybe I should get a book and then my cranks wouldn't fly off

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Thanks for all the info guys. If anyone has any other recommendations I'm all ears, eeeerrrr well all eyes I guess

As far as the tools go I may have to look into pickup some of the bicycle specific ones but as far as regular wrenches, sockets, allen keys etc I have a fair bit already for my other expensive time consuming hobby, my car.

-Bryce