1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jul 2012

Recommend me a comfortable foam/gel saddle

i need some recommendations on a nice conformable gel/foam saddle for my Trek 3700. I commute alot. My budget is $40 average.

I found a few but not sure if they are any good, but more choices would be welcome:

Planet Bike 5020 - http://www.amazon.com/Planet-Bike-50...d_sim_sbs_sg_8

Planet Bike 5022 - http://www.amazon.com/Planet-Bike-50...d_sim_sbs_sg_7

Sunlite Cloud-9 Bicycle Suspension Comfort Saddle - http://www.amazon.com/Sunlite-Cloud-...9+bicycle+seat

Sunlite Cloud-9 Bicycle Non-Suspension Comfort Saddle - http://www.amazon.com/Sunlite-Cloud-...9+bicycle+seat

Serfas Men's RX Bicycle Saddle - RX-921 - http://www.amazon.com/Serfas-Mens-RX..._sim_sbs_sg_16

Avenir Comfy Road Saddle - http://www.amazon.com/Avenir-Comfy-R...d_sim_sbs_sg_2

T.W.O.
    Are you wearing the padded bike shorts?

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Has your current saddle even had time to break in? $40 could get you two pair of liner shorts easily. I prefer my cushion on my tush. Jut my $.02.
    "Your opinion may vary, but it's stupid." -Rich Dillen

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    normal clothing and normal shorts. my old seat has been broken in already.

mtbr member
    What you need to realize about bike saddles is that the less saddle touching your ars the better. When you have a big cushy gel type saddle if may feel great when you first sit on it and it may do fine for a mile or two but that big saddle is creating lots of pressure points. With a smaller mountain type saddle you have less spots where the saddle is pushing against your body. I believe there are two bone structures in your bum and these two bones are what you want most of your weight riding on. A decent smaller saddle paired w/ a padded chamois usually causes much less irritation and chaffing. I have always liked WTB seats. The Speed V feels just as good as my rocket V to me and is usually less than half the cost. Thatís my 2 cents, take it or leave it.
    1ST RATE Earnest Borgnine-Ethel Merman erotic nudes!óDANGó Ethel was WAY hairier

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by dankist4x4 View Post
    What you need to realize about bike saddles is that the less saddle touching your ars the better. When you have a big cushy gel type saddle if may feel great when you first sit on it and it may do fine for a mile or two but that big saddle is creating lots of pressure points. With a smaller mountain type saddle you have less spots where the saddle is pushing against your body. I believe there are two bone structures in your bum and these two bones are what you want most of your weight riding on. A decent smaller saddle paired w/ a padded chamois usually causes much less irritation and chaffing. I have always liked WTB seats. The Speed V feels just as good as my rocket V to me and is usually less than half the cost. Thatís my 2 cents, take it or leave it.
    how about this one? WTB Speed V ProGel Saddle - Amazon.com: WTB Speed V ProGel Saddle: Sports & Outdoors

mtbr member
    how about the Fortť Men's Softail Saddle. i bought one to use for a century and found it pretty comfy. it was an older model though, but the new ones have good reviews.

Picture Unrelated
    Quote Originally Posted by dankist4x4 View Post
    Really good advice, big saddles are made for trips to the corner store while small saddles are meant to support your body during cycling. I've never found gel to be helpful in any way, not in gloves or saddles.

You should go cycling short shopping followed by getting your sit bones measured at a good bike shop to give you an idea of the ideal saddle width for your body. As a generic measure, I also enjoy WTB saddles and many bike shops around the country have a "demo" saddle program with them where you can take a saddle out on your own bike for a period of time to actually try it out. Remember that you'll always have to get used to a new saddle, so base your selections on your width measurement more than first impressions of sitting.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I got one of the planet bike ARS seats for my bike, but it's not one of the ones in either of your links, looks a bit different. I can't post links yet, but I got it off Amazon. It's listed as Planet Bike Men's A.R.S. Anatomic Relief Bicycle Saddle ASIN #: B000U7NU1Y

The saddle that came on it was just killing me, after months of riding 3 times a week I was still having pain... it hurt to sit down for hours after I got off (And that was with shorts with a chamois in them). So I bought that planet bike seat and it has been great, it was an immediate change, I knew the first time that I rode it that it was perfect for me and I've been using it for several months now. BUT, I haven't done any really long distances on it.... just commuting back and forth to work (3 miles twice a day) and riding it on the trainer in the mornings for interval work for around 30 minutes.

'Tis but a scratch
    Listen to Zebrahum and dankist4x4 - Good advice!

My personal experience totally agrees that the 3 keys are:
    1) A narrow nose. This helps avoid chafing.
    2) A width that fits my sit bones but is not overly padded. Too much padding I find to be less supportive.
    3) Shorts with padded chamois.

Don't be fooled by what feels nice and squishy to your hand!

local trails rider
    Yep,
    I just sink into a soft seat. That gives a lot of contact area between the seat and me. More chafing...
    And I ride using "normal" shorts or pants (I'm probably one of few who can ride for a few hours like that).

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

mtbr member
    I ride in "normal" shorts, too, and agree that minimal padding and a good fit produce the most comfortable ride. I had a WTB Silverado but it became a little uncomfortable after a few hours. It turns out that it was the wrong size for me: 135mm

I now sit on a Specialized Avatar Comp Gel, 143mm. Yes, it's a road bike saddle but it's very comfortable for longer rides. I don't even think about it when I'm out riding--which is what you want!

I'd recommend you visit a Specialized dealer and have them measure your sit bones. Then, try the various saddles that they make. There should be a variety mounted on the floor models in the showroom.

Specialized Bicycle Components
    Joe
    Chicago, IL

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    i ride with:
    Bontrager: Sport (Model #08383)

been pretty happy with it

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nova_xxx View Post
    i need some recommendations on a nice conformable gel/foam saddle for my Trek 3700. I commute alot. My budget is $40 average.

I found a few but not sure if they are any good, but more choices would be welcome:

Planet Bike 5020 - Amazon.com: Planet Bike 5020 Men's ARS Standard Anatomic Relief Saddle with Gel: Sports & Outdoors

Planet Bike 5022 - Amazon.com: Planet Bike 5022 Men's ARS Competition Anatomic Relief Saddle with Gel: Sports & Outdoors
    t[/url]

S[/url]
    Hi i have tried many saddles, the 5020 is by far the dam most comfortable saddle i have ever sat on. No break in period just amazing. It is heavy but i still put one on my xc/am bike.
    I am now trying to get a 5022 the narrow version for my bike as i want it for more techy trails where i need to get behind the seat more.
    The wide nose is awesome for climbing it allows you perch on the tip for steep climbs without it hurting...

In Transit
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by nova_xxx View Post
    how about this one? WTB Speed V ProGel Saddle - Amazon.com: WTB Speed V ProGel Saddle: Sports & Outdoors
    The Speed V is my favorite saddle after trying numerous WTB offerings. YBMV. I just have the regular version as I think gel saddles get weird after a couple of years.

Stay away from the cushy gel

T.W.O.

^^^this

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk