1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jul 2014

Recommend me a bike please

Hi,

I'm looking for a new bike as mine got stolen from my garage . I have claimed off the house insurance, the only thing is I need to pick one from their website so I'm a bit limited by my choice and I don't know that much about bikes so looking for a bit of advice on what to get.

I will probably ride 50% on pavement, 25% on hard-packed gravel trails, and 25% on single track-type trails

This was my previous bike I got stolen
    Evans Cycles | Saracen Mantra X-27 2010 Mountain Bike | Online Bike Shop

The insurance company said I have 500 to get a bike from their website but can pay more if I like a bike that cost more and will get 25% off the extra I pay. The most I would pay would be a bike at the value of 750 maybe a bit more.

This is the website I've got to get one from. I've put the search price at 500-800.
    Mountain bikes | Wheelies Direct Bike Replacement

So far I like the look of these ones but like I say I don't know much about bikes and would like If someone could look at these or if they see a better choice on the website.

Scott Scale 970 2014 Scale 970 2014 Mountain Bike | Scott | Wheelies Direct Bike Replacement
    GT Karakoram Elite 2014 Karakoram Elite 2014 Mountain Bike | GT | Wheelies Direct Bike Replacement
    GT Avalanche Elite 2014 Avalanche Elite 2014 Mountain Bike | GT | Wheelies Direct Bike Replacement

Thanks

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Off the Evans site I would pick this one.
    Pinnacle Ramin Four 2014 29er Mountain Bike | Evans Cycles
    Good Rockshox Recon Gold air fork, m615 Deore brakes, SLX shifters. This will work for trail riding quite well.

I would greatly prefer to get a Scott because of the light weight and superior geo. But the lowest one I would get is a Scale 960(ok fork) and that will cost you 375. It would be worth it to me and I would certainly get that back at resale.

Second choice would be the Karakoram.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    Off the Evans site I would pick this one.
    Pinnacle Ramin Four 2014 29er Mountain Bike | Evans Cycles
    Good Rockshox Recon Gold air fork, m615 Deore brakes, SLX shifters. This will work for trail riding quite well.
    Sorry it does have to be from this site Mountain bikes | Wheelies Direct Bike Replacement

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    I would go with the Kona Shred personally:

Shred 2014 Mountain Bike | Kona | Wheelies Direct Bike Replacement

Looks like a good entry level bike that should handle well still give you decent travel on the more harsh single tracks. The seat position will generally be a little lower than a normal mountain bike which will be more comfortable for pavement riding.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirden View Post
    I would go with the Kona Shred personally:

Shred 2014 Mountain Bike | Kona | Wheelies Direct Bike Replacement

Looks like a good entry level bike that should handle well still give you decent travel on the more harsh single tracks. The seat position will generally be a little lower than a normal mountain bike which will be more comfortable for pavement riding.
    Thanks for helping Kirden.

Unfortunately they only have small frame and I'm 6ft so no good.

Cheers for having a look

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Ah ok, in that case I would go with:

Karakoram Elite 2014 Mountain Bike | GT | Wheelies Direct Bike Replacement

The RockShox fork really impressed me at a demo, even though it is considered a low end fork. It is probably better than the Kona fork, but the Kona is very comfortable for flat surface riding. I have never riden the Karakoram, but I demoed a Haro FL 27.5" with the RockShox XC 30 fork and was impressed.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirden View Post
    Ah ok, in that case I would go with:

Karakoram Elite 2014 Mountain Bike | GT | Wheelies Direct Bike Replacement

The RockShox fork really impressed me at a demo, even though it is considered a low end fork. It is probably better than the Kona fork, but the Kona is very comfortable for flat surface riding. I have never riden the Karakoram, but I demoed a Haro FL 27.5" with the RockShox XC 30 fork and was impressed.
    Kirden would you recommend the Karakoram over the GT Avalanche Elite 2014 Avalanche Elite 2014 Mountain Bike | GT | Wheelies Direct Bike Replacement

Thanks

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Personally I like smaller wheels, but you said 50%+ would be pavement riding. For flat surface/pavement I would go with the Karakoram 29". Everything else looks to be exactly the same. Smaller wheels are really more for turning and technical terrain, but according to many people 29ers can be almost as nimble if you find the correct geometry.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Think I'll go for the Karakoram.

Thanks for the help Kirden

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    try to find one that has at least 30mm stanction tubes...the xc "28" indicates that the fork has 28mm diameter "legs", .The ideal diameter is 32mm for a cross country bike...but try to stay with Rock Shox,Manitou, or Fox forks.
    The 2011 GT Karakoram 29er came with Rock Shox "Recon" model forks, but I believe they changed the pricing structure after that and downgraded the forks.
    Too bad for that.
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld