1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Recommend me a 9 Speed chain

Hey,

I had my first chain break yesterday while riding my 09 Trance x4 around my neighborhood. So, I need to replace my chain. I was looking at Shimano XT chain but is there a better chain out there in the same price range or is buying a chain all perference?

Thanks

Probably drunk right now

Personal Preference....

Quote Originally Posted by dangerzone9k View Post
    Hey,

I had my first chain break yesterday while riding my 09 Trance x4 around my neighborhood. So, I need to replace my chain. I was looking at Shimano XT chain but is there a better chain out there in the same price range or is buying a chain all perference?

Thanks
    It's all personal preference. Shimano XT chains work great. So do SRAM chains.

I prefer SRAM because they have a quick link built in to them that allows you to take the chain apart quickly. I carry an extra quick link with me when I ride in the event that I break my chain. I can replace the broken link with the extra quick link and keep on riding.
    JPark - 3.5- don't listen to dremer

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Does the XT have a quick link? Also, what lube should I get?

Probably drunk right now

I don't know....

Quote Originally Posted by dangerzone9k View Post
    Does the XT have a quick link? Also, what lube should I get?
    I'm a creature of habit and I've been riding a long time. So I've settled in to a drive train that seems to work for me and the way I ride. I haven't looked at Shimano chains for over ten years. The last I knew, they did not have a quick link. But that may have changed.

Even if they don't, you can carry an extra link or 2 with you when you ride. If you do break your chain, it's a fairly quick and easy process to exchange the broken link for a new link. And if you don't have an extra link, riding with a link or two less to get you off the trail isn't a big deal.

Regarding lube: It really depends on where you ride and personal preference. Generally, if you ride in dry, dusty conditions, you'll want to look at dry lubes. If you ride in wetter conditions, you'll want to look at wet lubes.

I ride with wet lube for my local trails. When I travel to CO/UT to ride, I'll switch to dry lube.
    JPark - 3.5- don't listen to dremer

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Thanks for the info! I plan to buy a multi-tool that comes with a chain tool so I can have one on the trail. I'm either going to get sram or Shimano chain. Time to do some more research..LOL

Former Bike Wrench
    KMC X9 chains, come with quick link and 1.5x more pin pull strength than standard SRAM 9 speed chains. Shimano is my second choice (used to be first) mostly because they cost more and you have to buy a quick link, yet don't perform any better than the KMC chains (whom make the Deore and SLX/LX chains anyway).

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I've tried several and have used deore chains recently because they were cheap when I bought them. I noticed the kmc x9.99 weighs a good bit less. Anyone know if those are as strong and do they last as long? or are they better suited for road bikes?

mtbr member
    Do all Power Links, and Quick Links work with any type of chain?
    2010 Gary Fisher Marlin
    Upgrade-Wellgo MG-1 Pedals
    If you don't come back banged up and bruised, you didn't go hard enough!

Former Bike Wrench
    The L and SL models are lighter, the standard X9.99 is really not going to be much lighter than a Deore but does have more corrosion resistance. The pin pull strength is just as high on the L and SL models but the plates are hollowed out for weight reduction. They are still very strong and used off-road all the time.

local trails rider
    Shimano CN-7701

Other brands' quick links work with Shimano chains just fine. So it looks like any quick link will work with any brand's chains, as long as the width is right.

Shimano's chains come with a "reinforced" pin that you use to join the chain after cutting it to the right length ... unless you want to use a quick link instead.

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Hmmmm. Jenson shows the x9.99 weighs 229g and the sl shows 265g. The 9.99 must be wrong. Guess I'll wait for the off season sales.

--------------------------

Kmc shows 277g for the 9.99. ~25g might make a difference to the weenies.

KMC - X9.99