1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2012

Recomendations on 29ers under $500

I'm looking at the Specialized Hardrock, Giant Revel and Trek Marlins, any suggestions or other bikes I should look into ?

I've been looking on craigslist too, It'll mostly be used on paved trials and flat trails (I'm in Florida)...then maybe down the road I can them upgrade the components as my skills progress

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    i would look at bikesdirect.com... I've never bought anything from there however they tend to have good deals for entry level bikes that would likely save you money over the brands you've called out with similar components or better.

with so many options its tough to decide..

best of luck and post a picture once you've bought your bike.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by hawks View Post
    i would look at bikesdirect.com... I've never bought anything from there however they tend to have good deals for entry level bikes that would likely save you money over the brands you've called out with similar components or better.

with so many options its tough to decide..

best of luck and post a picture once you've bought your bike.
    Thanks for the reply..I've been looking at BD as well, my concern is getting the right fit and putting it together

mtbr member
    I love Giant, but the Revel is not a true mountain bike... more of a hybrid. Thats probably fine for the type of rides you mentioned, but will be completely unsuitable for upgrading later as parts may or may not fit and the geometry would be all wrong. If Giant is local look at the Talon as that is their entry level 29er mountain bike. I can also highly recommend it, only real area of need for an upgrade is the fork eventually.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    You can also look at Airborne Guardian @ $600 if you can stretch a little more. You will find that the components are better than many others in the same price range. Awesome customer support too.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Phinias View Post
    I love Giant, but the Revel is not a true mountain bike... more of a hybrid. Thats probably fine for the type of rides you mentioned, but will be completely unsuitable for upgrading later as parts may or may not fit and the geometry would be all wrong. If Giant is local look at the Talon as that is their entry level 29er mountain bike. I can also highly recommend it, only real area of need for an upgrade is the fork eventually.
    yeah, the talon is nice, my neighbor has one and its about $300 more. There's also the atx 27.5 too

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by NtrLvr View Post
    You can also look at Airborne Guardian @ $600 if you can stretch a little more. You will find that the components are better than many others in the same price range. Awesome customer support too.
    Looked at airborne too..nice bikes but not sure if I'd be able to put it together like it should be

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I'm constantly looking through craigslist and closeouts at my LBS...

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I just bought a 2014 Motobecane Fantom29 Sport for $400 shipped. I've only ridden it a few times but it defiantly is comparable to the big name brands. But if you don't know how to work on a bike I wouldn't recommend it. But for $400 it beats anything that my 2 LBS stores had in stock. Only problem is not being able to give them a test ride before you order which I just took a leap of faith and got what I wanted. Also Bikes direct has the Gravity 29Point1 which is $419 and speced better then my Motobecane but I overlooked it and bought the fantom but still it beats the Trek 3500 disc I sold to upgrade.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Jameo View Post
    I just bought a 2014 Motobecane Fantom29 Sport for $400 shipped. I've only ridden it a few times but it defiantly is comparable to the big name brands. But if you don't know how to work on a bike I wouldn't recommend it. But for $400 it beats anything that my 2 LBS stores had in stock. Only problem is not being able to give them a test ride before you order which I just took a leap of faith and got what I wanted.
    Did you use the "general"guidelines for sizing ?....if I go with an online bike, I can always have the bikeshop put it together for about $60 I just found out

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankees24 View Post
    Did you use the "general"guidelines for sizing ?....if I go with an online bike, I can always have the bikeshop put it together for about $60 I just found out
    I went to my LBS and rode similar 29ers and decided on the 17" frame even though I'm 5'9. I don't have much standover clearance but the effective top tube fits my longer torso just right. My stock 17" fantom sport weighs 35lb according to my bathroom scale which is only 2 pounds heavier then the 18" Trek 3500 I upgraded from.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Where in Florida are you?

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Looked at airborne too..nice bikes but not sure if I'd be able to put it together like it should be
    Why not? It's worth the effort.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by ratm136 View Post
    Where in Florida are you?
    Tampa

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I was in the exact same boat before I bought my Trail 7. Here are some ones that I found on CL. I'll let the experts chime in on which one(s) to gear you towards...

Specialized Stumpjumper 29er single speed

Like New FELT Q620

Mountain Bike -2014 Kona Lava Dome

Specialized 21" Rockhopper Comp Disc 29

Specialized Rockhopper Comp

custom mens mountain bike

2013 Diamond Back Mountain Bike 29'er - 29 inch wheels

mtbr member
    That Felt is sick!

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I wish my local used bike market was like that. All that's for sale most of the time is overpriced department store bikes people think they can get what they paid outta them.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    All you need is a pair of cable cutters, some allen keys and YouTube.. Its not hard but it's good to know how.

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Friend of mine picked up a '14 rockhopper comp 29 in a discontinued paint scheme for 399. I was almost jealous.
    Btw it's the red one.
    The bike doesn't make you go fast.
    You make the bike go fast.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I've been checking out craigslist almost every hour - i contacted one of the bikes listed on the list, (rockhopper 2010 model) and he's about $100 over bluebook. i'm hoping to get a clearance deal from a local bike shop

I'm 6'1 so I'm looking for a large frame

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    of the online bikes - i've looked at fezzarri, airborne and bikes direct...any other ones ?

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Since its that time of year again, shops will start to drop prices of leftovers to make way for next year's bikes.... this past April, got my '13 Karakoram for $450 as a leftover, when the original sticker price was $850

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    one thing that I'm noticing especially with trek, is that that all the entry level bikes from them have single wall rims. With Giant it seems to be standard on the atx 27.5 and revel

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    one thing that I'm noticing especially with trek, is that that all the entry level bikes from them have single wall rims. With Giant it seems to be standard on the atx 27.5 and revel
    I started out on a trek 3500 disc which had singlewall rims. A lot of trek's entry level bikes are lower spec'ed then other brands. Honestly since its that time of the year LBS's need to clear the space for next years models you could score a deal on a nice 29er plus have support from your LBS if anything goes wrong. Although bikes direct does have a lot of large frames in stock for your height but I'd still recommend looking local first.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    My local trek dealer thinks he selling Ferrari's. He wanted $550 for an x caliber 5 that he rents out and is all scratched up

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast