1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Sep 2012

Reccomend a Saddle

Hey all. New rider here. I recently acquired a 2011 Giant Anthem x2 26er. The Fizik saddle on this thing is rock hard and uncomfortable. I bought a pair of padded shorts which helped somewhat but after a couple miles my junk fell asleep and the taint was in pain. The only way I could relieve it was to stand up off of the saddle. I ride some XC and some local South FL trails. Since I'm new I am completely unfamiliar with the world of saddles. I want something that will be comfortable for long rides. Any recommendations? Good brands? Thanks for your help

mtbr member
    I'll take a poke, welcome to the site,
    Saddles are personal. I personally think you should ride more before you do anything but measuring your seat bones couldn't hurt. In a few weeks your arse will toughen up and your body and legs should be doing more to hold weight.
    Try minor seat adjustments. from what you describe it sounds like the front tip of the saddle is too high but ?
    Don't be tempted to get a big soft saddle, chaffing is far worse than some pain now.
    Imo the only saddle someone could recommend with a smidgen of certainty is a Brooks, and even then it should be close to the right size.
    Round and round we go

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    One of your local shops might have a demo saddle program , ask around.

What day are we riding?
    Saddles are personal preference issue - what fits one person's rear is not going to fit everyone else's. For example - my rear doesn't like Brooks saddles.

Check out your local shops and see if one has a WTB demo seat program. WTB makes seats in a variety of widths and lengths so you can head in the right direction. Once you find a seat that fits well with your butt bones you can try out similar sized saddles.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rangeriderdave View Post
    One of your local shops might have a demo saddle program , ask around.
    Yup, WTB was doing that.
    They usually have a bin filled with take offs for 10 bucks too. Worth a try to get you in the right direction.
    Round and round we go

local trails rider
    As others have said, seats are a very personal choice.

If you have not ridden much, all seats are uncomfortable for a while, until you get used to the pressure. From the description of the pain, I suspect something might actually be wrong, for you. The pains are in the wrong places. I recall that when I last had not-used-to-riding-pains, they were aches in the sit bone area. Some possibilities:
    - seat is too narrow
    - seat is angled too much nose up
    - sides of seat bend down under your weight, and the center comes into contact with your taint (only possible if you are very heavy)
    - you sit too far forward on the seat, on the narrowest part
    - you wear underwear under the cycling shorts
    - your riding position and style puts all of your weight on your backside

(I have two different Fizik models in use and love them. Both are discontinued models but, fortunately, I also have one spare for the time when one of the others wears out.)

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Thanks guys

mtbr member
    I ride a Chromag Lynx saddle and it fits me fine but I let a friend ride it and he hates it. They truly are a person fit item.
    13 Banshee Rune, Pushed Fox 36Float RC2, I9 Blunt35's

T1 barcode, pitchfork's, Hazard light's and profile's

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Dude I started out riding around Xmas on a Scott Aspect with the stock seat and had the same problems you mentioned. Numbness in the nether regions, so much so that midway through a long ride I had to climb out of the saddle and check if the 'old fella' was still there and hadn't dropped off!

I swapped it out for a Fizik saddle but that wasn't really much better. Some on this forum said it was just a matter of getting used to being in the saddle again but from previous experience I knew that was bollocks. Saddle soreness is one thing but the numbness you describe comes from pressure in all the wrong places in the soft tissue around your butt. Long story short I went for a Specialized 'fitting'. They measure your 'sit bones' and recommend an appropriate width seat. I ended up with a 143mm Specialized 'Henge' seat that is still pretty hard but is a great fit and I haven't had a problem since buying it 4 months ago. The old seat was about 130mm and far too narrow, hence the numbness.

They also had a 90 day trial period so if I didn't like the seat I could return it. A great option as seats aren't cheap if you keep having to buy new ones to try.

So if you have a Specialized dealer near you I recommend trying the fitting.

Life's too short to have your junk fall asleep during your rides!