1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Are rebound fork adjusters supposed to click when turning? (Suntour XCM PM HLO 26")

I have a 2010 GT avalanche with suntour forks (see title) and i dont know whether the previous owner broke it or not but when turning it to (+ more rebound) it allows me to keep clicking it...I turned it fully about 3 times before I said to myself "okay, lets not break anything until we learn about it"...Well the Suntour Owners manual for forks doesn't say anything about this quick adjusting model, it only mentions the ones with adjusting bolts on the bottom.

So, Question...is this knob only supposed to be clicked into higher settings (clockwise), or do you just turn it about 180* and thats the max it will go? If its only 180*, im screwed because i've over turned it 3 times.

Also, on decreasing the rebound(- less rebound, counter clock-wise) it comes to a stop. I just haven't tried to reach a stop going higher rebound.

nocturnal oblivion
    If it's really slow to rebound at the dead stop and speeds up as you turn it the other, it's still working. If you keep turning and it keeps speeding up, it's still working. Many forks and shocks have 5-8 turns of rebound adjustment. Just pucker up and keep twisting...
    "...like sex with the trail." - Boe

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    so its difficult to break it?

What about the speed-lock? Manual says to turn it 90* but mine turns 180*, for locked/unlocked

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    bump

CT3
    Hoodwink
    that fork doesnt have rebound adjustment its fixed, what you are adj is the preload and lock out.

http://www.srsuntour-cycling.com/ind...nid=2605&sid=1

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    your right. Whats preload for?
    But the manual doesnt mention how to set it appropriately either...it goes around about 8 clicks before it stops. (finally turned it (+) all the way.

also, my shocks are the PM HLO [B]V2[/B. How much does each turn/click affect the spring? Like...what does each click change?
    Last edited by adrianm1188; 07-23-2011 at 07:53 PM.

CT3
    Hoodwink
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianm1188 View Post
    your right. Whats preload for?
    But the manual doesnt mention how to set it appropriately either...it goes around about 8 clicks before it stops. (finally turned it (+) all the way.

also, my shocks are the PM HLO [B]V2[/B. How much does each turn/click affect the spring? Like...what does each click change?
    Preloads sets up the sag should be set at 20-30% travel when sittin on the bike when in full ride weight

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    how much % does each full turn click give? starting from the lowest...

Cube Attention
    Apr 2010
    I had that fork on my bike when I got it, and there was no possibly way to have a 20-30% sag, not even 10%, even though the knob was at - (max).
    The only thing that knob does is strengthen the coil inside, which doesn't change much.
    I have upgraded as soon as I could to a Fox fork, and the whole biking experience changed (in a good way).

mtbr member
    I think a lot of posters just haven't seen the SR Speedlock damper. Speedlock has like 8 or 9 settings between open and locked, each click progressively making the fork a little stiffer. It's completely separate from preload. Also shows up on their higher end lines like epicons, etc.

Performance had a tent sale one day and had a bunch of bikes outside to ride. I rode a few, including one with a Speedlock. I came away begrudgingly impressed. It's been a while since I had a coil fork, but I might prefer speedlock to rebound damping (like a Dart/XC). If the coil is too squishy, rebound damping doesn't do much for you; Speedlock seems to give you some decent fine tuning to dial it in so it doesn't wallow as much. Seems to work sort of like a poor-man's MoCo.

I actually looked into it after that ride, to see how the damper works, but didn't find much. IMO suntour could be marketing this more aggressively on entry bikes.

OP, the one i rode had 90deg bt open and locked, and I do seem to recall a definite click/stop bt each setting. If you ever figure out how it actually works i'd love to know.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    the speed lock is supposed to click? mine just moves freely...

my preload clicks, every 180* turn.

Cube Attention
    Apr 2010
    @adrianm1188: you mean the lockout?
    it doesn't click as the preload, but it snaps into place when you move it (locked/unlocked)

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Yes, lock out. Mine doesn't click/lock into place (the knob). I can freely turn the speed lock out from one end to the other. The shocks lock, but the there is not "place" in the knob.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I have the same fork on my devinci and i found the preload to be pretty useless. Also make a lot of noise if the preload is to high(clunks when it unloads).

I may try a low end epicon as it is in my price range.