1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member

Rear tire trashing my seat bag

Hello,

I'm not necessarily a beginner, but I am now riding my first FS and my first 29er. I notice when I go over some hills at high speed or land from some jumps that my rear tire is scraping my seat bag and slowly wearing a hole in it. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to avoid this (besides not using a seat bag)?
    2012 Salsa Horsethief
    2005 Independent Fabrication Deluxe

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

Rear tire trashing my seat bag

Quote Originally Posted by progfan1 View Post
    Hello,

I'm not necessarily a beginner, but I am now riding my first FS and my first 29er. I notice when I go over some hills at high speed or land from some jumps that my rear tire is scraping my seat bag and slowly wearing a hole in it. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to avoid this (besides not using a seat bag)?
    Don't "go over some hills at high speed or...jumps."

You need to move the bag or use something else.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Fat-tired Roadie
    Can you go to a smaller seat bag? How about a flat kit in a water bottle cage?

Otherwise, unless your legs get longer, I think the laws of physics have you beaten on this one.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Had the same problem. I found a seat bag that was wide and flat. I had to test maybe 4 seatbags to get one that worked and went to 3 different bike shops. I would say this was literally the only seat bag that worked. Forget the exact brand/model now though.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Same problem here, on Trance 29er. When the seat is at its normal height and the bag contains some stuff, that goes ok. But with a lower seat position or using the extension in the bag, it goes wrong... I think not having the choice to move to a camelbag.

mtbr member
    I think its a common issue really seatbags are not for all MTB's. I just use a camelbak and put my stuff in there. I don't want to hit a drop and burst everything out of my saddle bag. Also saddle bags can be noisy with stuff rattling around in them.

mtbr member
    Can you hold them up a little closer and tighter with tye wraps?