1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2011

Rear Shock Question

As everyone knows and hates i have my blackcomb... im gettin a Avid BB7 brake set for my rear this week... now im curious about rear shock fitting... does it only need to be a 6.5" to fit or are other size specifications importaint.. ive read that the Rock Shox Bar will fit but if its only the 6.5" that matters im lookin for a Fox Float but any help is always apriciated...thanx

mtbr member
    May 2011
    any help at all people?

Fat-tired Roadie
    For specifics like that, especially on a less-known bike, if Google Search won't tell you, you really need to get the information from the side of the current shock or from technical support. You can also try the owners' forum for Mongoose.

Pretty high-end shock to put on that bike. Is it one of the faux y-frame ones?
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    May 2011
    well i know its 6.5" eye-to-eye for the rear shock... my question was is that the only measurement that really matters or is there another measurment that matters?

Fat-tired Roadie
    I think stroke length.

But I'm a hardtail guy.

T.W.O.
    Usually the 6.5" eye-to-eye should mate with 1.5" stroke but really there are a few stroke length that I've seen. Most big brands use 6.5x1.5. Changing shock to any other brands beside the one that came with your bike would required shock mounting kit. Be sure to check or ask for availability before ordering fox or RS.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Don't spend money on that frame! It's not worth it!

Instead of upgrading, put the money away and just buy a better bike with a better frame. Before you say "Well, I'm just going to swap the parts over", realize a new bike will come with all those parts.

Fat-tired Roadie
    ^^^
    Also, there are a million different shock sizes, and most bare full-suspension frames still have the shock.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    heard that one before and im stubborn but thanx for the advice....im prolly gonna get the Rock Shox Bar 2.1 any info on how good it is?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Don't be stubborn, be smart.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    u guys could jus answer my question plz ill get a new bike eventually in the mean time im gonna play with this one

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by posey24 View Post
    u guys could jus answer my question plz ill get a new bike eventually in the mean time im gonna play with this one
    We are answering your question. It just not what you want to hear.

Fat-tired Roadie
    I think everyone's given you the best answer they can, even if most of us think that you're doing something that doesn't make sense.

There's a plethora of information available concerning more popular bikes, much of it straight from the manufacturer. But when you're looking at changing parts on something that didn't go through the bike shop distribution channels, it gets a lot more difficult. Dorel probably doesn't expect anyone who buys that bike to maintain it, and its relationship with Mongoose could be in name only. So if you haven't found the information yet, and you're really looking, it's probably not out there. You can probably also measure it yourself.

If you do figure it out, post it here and in the owner's forum - it could be useful to someone else at some point.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Hey Posey just ignore the haters.....I think the shock in the link below would be perfect for your bike. As an added bonus they have free shipping right now.....just make sure you get the right size....http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...ear+Shock.aspx

mtbr member
    You're going to need eye to eye measurement, stroke length, mounting bolt diameter for top and bottom (usually 6mm or 8mm), and distance between where the shock mounts in the frame top and bottom. The mounting hardware is sold separately due to so many options.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    lol Thank You jeff ur the only person to actually answer my question

T.W.O.
    lol...

mtbr member
    May 2011
    ok everyone lets pretend for a second its not a mongoose blackcomb and a different bike dont care what jus pic one.... does the stroke really matter when changing the rear shock as long as the eye2eye is the correct length?

T.W.O.
    ok everyone lets pretend for a second its not a mongoose blackcomb and a different bike dont care what jus pic one.... does the stroke really matter when changing the rear shock as long as the eye2eye is the correct length?
    Yes the eye to eye determine the length that shock would take place on the bike design, the stroke determine the shock compression. If you bike was design for 1.5" stoke at 3:1 ratio for example getting 2" stroke would screw up your geometry quite a bit.

You will need an exact measurement shock spec that require for your blackcomb.

If it's not a mongoose then it may need to be more specific as well. Many companies spec custom valve shock for their bike simply putting in a new shock at the correct length is not enough to boost or optimized performance. For example Gary Fisher Roscoe offer 3 different custom valves for their different trims.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    dang mimi ur on it lol but i know the black comb has a 6.5X1.5 so as long as i get one that size like the Fox or Rock Shox ill be fine right?

mtbr member
    No problem, But as others have said; it wouldn't be wise to spend more money on a shock than the whole bike costs. If the shock is in need of replacement look at an entry level X-fusion, it'll be the best shock for the least amount of $$. What you might run into on that bike is "non standard" sizing. For example the space where the shock mounts in the frame may be some funky number you can't get hardware for etc. A smart person learns by his mistakes but a wise person learns by the mistakes of others.

T.W.O.
    dang mimi ur on it lol but i know the black comb has a 6.5X1.5 so as long as i get one that size like the Fox or Rock Shox ill be fine right?
    Yes just get the right mounting kit, I repeat do not expect a big boost in suspension performance. It's the linkage placement and ratio that makes that bike performs poorly, putting a Push Industry factory tune shock in its place ain't going to do much either.

If I were you I'd take bad mechanic and Andrew's advice, they are spot on most of the time. bad mechanic talked me out of bad investment on one thread(not mine) and thanks for that.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    i jus measured the plastic bushing on the top of the shock they were 18mm if i cant find hardware for them im gonna use 17mm sockets they fit lol

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    How did this adventure eend up?

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    After following this post for a couple of weeks out of curiosity I finally got around to looking at what a BlackComb actually was.
    I had not heard of the model which was surprising for me given I am a current and previous owner of top end Mongoose bikes and take an interest in their top end products [I currently have a 2010 Mongoose Teocali Super - $3500.00, 6 inch travel AM bike]

Please, Please do not spend money on that frame!
    It is so far removed from the top quality Mongoose bikes that the LBS sells as to be a different brand altogether.
    Take every ones advice, ride it stock untill it dies and then replace with a DECENT bike

You cannot make a silk purse out of a sows ear!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast