1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Nov 2013

Rear shock leaking/Gritty sound.

Looking at taking apart my rear shock (Monarch 3 I think) as its been leaking and has a gritty sound when compressed. Also been some yukky looking black grease on it sometimes.

Looked at the manual and some online videos and it looks reasonably simple, is there anything a first timer should know that might not be obvious in the videos. Other then tools and replacement suspension oil, is there anything else I need, eg new seals or O rings or anything?

On a similar topic, how does one go about buying a whole new rear shock, I've never seen them for sale separately, only attached to frames?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    You can find shocks online, or your local shop can order what you need.
    There are some variations in shocks beyond the stroke and eye-to-eye length that you'll need to keep an eye on, as the same shock can come stock with different tunes for different applications, depending what sort of frame design they're intended to work for, as well as rider preference. You'd probably want to dig around and see how much specific info you can find about exactly what came on your bike. Maybe check out the Suspension sub-form here.

I haven't serviced my Monarch, but I've done a few Fox shocks at home and it was pretty straightforward. I was able to pick up rebuild kids for well under $20 at the LBS with all the replacement seals and rings included.

Oh, and if your Monarch has the old swivelling head where attach your shock pump, they're really prone to leaking at that spot. Mine wouldn't hold air at all after a while and RockShox replaced it with a newer model where the head doesn't swivel; that one's been fine.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

mtbr member
    Bicycle - bicycle.co.nz - These guys have shocks for sale. I have gotten stuff from them before (forks, pedals etc) and they have been great to deal with.
    I don't crash, I just have slightly uncontrolled dismounts!

Picture Unrelated
    Get a seal kit, Rock Shox's REDRUM, and read the manuals a few times before opening anything. Keep things you take out organized, clean everything with isopropyl using lint free rags (the blue disposable shop towels are pretty good) and lube the living hell out of things with the REDRUM during assembly. Check the tightness of your Schrader valve core and pump it up.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    I submerged the shock in water and there were no bubbles I could see coming out of it. I'm finding it hard to find a rebuild kit, I think this is the one but I'm not sure what year my shock is: Rock Shox Rear Shock Service Parts (100067939) at CambriaBike.com

I'm a bit reluctant ask my LBS as they charged me $18 each for the dust wipers for my front shock, only to find you can buy a complete set of two dustwipers and all the o rings etc for $19.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    There are a few places that only rebuild forks and shocks ,You might be able to send to Rock Shox .Hippietech is one that does rebuilds ,google for more.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by rangeriderdave View Post
    There are a few places that only rebuild forks and shocks ,You might be able to send to Rock Shox .Hippietech is one that does rebuilds ,google for more.
    Would prefer to do it myself, for the price most people charge I could buy a brand new shock every second time.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Ok so apparently I didn't push the air thingy back in after topping up the air (which I have to do every day) and I knocked it off while riding. The service kit I ordered looks like it has a replacement one in it, but the broken off thread is still in it, If I remember correctly you can buy little kits for removing broken threads, would they work on this:

Rear shock leaking/Gritty sound.-riley-1471.jpg

It's probably going to take a week or two for the service kit to arrive to kinda bummed that I have to walk to work and can't go out for a ride 8-(

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    That's the swivel head I mentioned earlier that's prone to problems - take that shock to your LBS and see if there's anything they can do for you through RockShox. I got mine warranteed (though it was a few years newer at the time.)
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

Picture Unrelated
    Quote Originally Posted by Riley-NZL View Post
    It's probably going to take a week or two for the service kit to arrive to kinda bummed that I have to walk to work and can't go out for a ride 8-(
    Have to agree with slap, this is a job for your LBS. They may have take off parts, they can get in touch with RS better than you usually can (regional reps are good for this sort of thing), and they might have a loaner shock for the meantime. If you have multiple shops in your area, give them calls.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    It looks like most of the local bike shops are already closed up for Christmas, I think I have located a service kit through a local bike forum, someone has one in there toolkit they don't need so might be in luck. I might have to take the shock to an engineering place though to get the broken bit out, the hole is only 1.5mm and none of the hardware stores here have extractors that small.

There are four bike shops I know of where I live and not a single one is a rockshox dealer which makes things harder.

Picture Unrelated
    Quote Originally Posted by Riley-NZL View Post
    It looks like most of the local bike shops are already closed up for Christmas, I think I have located a service kit through a local bike forum, someone has one in there toolkit they don't need so might be in luck. I might have to take the shock to an engineering place though to get the broken bit out, the hole is only 1.5mm and none of the hardware stores here have extractors that small.

There are four bike shops I know of where I live and not a single one is a rockshox dealer which makes things harder.
    If none are RS dealers then any of them could contact Sram for assistance. But if you don't go, you won't know.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    You could try going direct to RS tech support and see what they say.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.