1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Rear shock compatibility

Is it possible to upgrade to a rear shock with a longer travel than what is currently on the frame? My rear shock currently has 4" of travel but I would like to upgrade to a 5" shock if possible.
    Granny gear lover

Picture Unrelated
    Not usually. Frames are built around a certain shock length and occasionally you can cram a different size shock in it but usually only smaller. I would go with the assumption that you won't be riding the exception to that rule, but you could always ask in the appropriate bike manufacturer specific forum section.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?