1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    1.21 Jigowatts!

New question here. rear derailleur. short or long.

How do you know when you need a long or short rear derailleur. I think I'm going to have to replace my old one on my WCF.
    '07 Giant Anthem 2
    '07 Giant Yukon
    '95 Diamondback WCF Vertex

bang
    click here. use that search feature!

pronounced may-duh
    If you have standard mtn bike gearing with a triple ring crank than you should stick with the long cage. Even if you don't a long cage will serve you well.

The cage length helps the dérailleur pick up the chain slack between the various gear combos.