1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    May 2013

Rear Derailleur shield? Plastic dealio between rear deraileur and spokes is broken.

Getting back into MTB so here come the noob questions!

Just bought a used bike and the only thing broken on it is that little plastic shield between rear derailleur and the spokes. Can I just break this off? It's loose so it turns with the tire.

Should I try and fix it? Should I replace it? Should I break it off and not worry about it? I do plan on riding some dirt trails, possibly muddy in places.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    No worries, take it off.
    Round and round we go

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Sweet, thanks.

R.I.P. DogFriend
    I am not averse to breaking them to get them off. They help if your rear derailleur is not adjusted properly and the chain goes over the tallest cog and into the spokes. That helps to idiot-proof the bike so the spokes don't get ruined when you try to get the chain un-wedged by keeping the chain from getting wedged in the first place.

The bike fashion police will tell you to immediately remove them, and I think they do look ugly, hence the nickname of "dork disc.' dorky or not, having one in there could potentially save you some trouble and money.

I wonder if bike shops actually stock them? I'm sure there are literally thousands of them stashed in garages all over the world wherever there are bikes in garages ;~)

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I figured it was part of the tire and was to keep mud and dirt out of the derailleur. Nevertheless, it broke into thousands of pieces so it doesn't seem like it was made to last anyway.

mtbr member
    It's meant to protect the spokes, as explained above. If you keep your rear derailleur properly adjusted, you don't need it.

I just a new road bike and was going to leave it on until I had some reason to pull the cassette. Just today, my husband got so fed up with how dorky it looks that he pulled the cassette just to take it off! LOL