1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    May 2013

Rear cassette question.

I have trek 4300 with 7 speed cassette and v brakes. How can I tell if my wheel can accommodate a 9 or 10 speed cassette ?

Thanks.

T.W.O.
    No it can not. If you have 8 spd cassette you can switch to 9 or 10.

mtbr member
    May 2013

Re: Rear cassette question.

So I'm stock with 7 speed unless i upgrade the wheel?

Sent from my LG-MS870 using Tapatalk 2

T.W.O.

Rear cassette question.

In so many words.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Ok, thank you for the reply. One more question. If I wanted to replace the crankset with 1 gear instead of 3. Which crankset would you recommend for this bike? Would I have to replace the chain as well?

T.W.O.
    If you are talking about chainring, then it's up to you. Most popular would be middle ring. You can do that by taking off the big and small ring. You just need to take off a few links on your chain. If it's old just replace it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I had the same issue with my old Cannondale, 7 speed, I went to 9 easy, just buy a cheap 9 seed hub and use the spindle and free hub off it and just put in your current hub. My hub on the bike is the original and its 22 years old and the new shimano still fit it. cheapest and easiest way to make that wheel a 9 speed. You will need to re dish the wheel as well, it will be offset to one side of you don't. I had too on mine.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Remove your present cassette or take a look behind it. If there is a spacer behind the 7 speed cassette then your hub is a 8/9/10 speed hub setup for 7 speed. This is quite common.
    Shimano and Shimano-compatible 7-speed cassettes

mtbr member
    May 2013

Thanks all for replies. Last article was especially useful. Going to save money and stay with 7 speed.

mtbr member
    May 2013

Hey guys, it looks like i have a free wheel and no spacer. Am i right?

mtbr member
    May 2013

Attachment 822860

mtbr member
    May 2013

Level 5 Rider!
    Nice when someone asks the very question you are pondering... So now I know that I can't put on a 10, but I am assuming that since the Revel 1 has the same frame as the Revel 4 and it uses a 8 spd that I could go up to 8 spd as well. Now the question I have is my lowest gear on the Revel 4 is an 28/28 and it just isn't cutting it for me as I plan to do some actual mountainy goodness. What is the easiest and cheapest way for me to get my gears lower for those climbs? Someone mentioned changing out a gear on the front, but I wasn't very clear on how exactly that works. Is that just one gear or does the whole set need to change?

Also is it hard finding a half decent 7 spd set?
    You earn 1000 exp!
    You are now lvl 5! (5/100)
    Str +3, Sta +4, MTB Skills +1, Grip +1, Iron Butt +1
    New Item - Broken pedals

rebmem rbtm
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Desidus View Post
    So now I know that I can't put on a 10, but I am assuming that since the Revel 1 has the same frame as the Revel 4 and it uses a 8 spd that I could go up to 8 spd as well.
    It's the hub you need to look at not the frame.

Freewheel or Cassette?

Revel 1 has a cassette and freehub

Revel 4 has a threaded freewheel and a threaded hub

You could go to 8 speed if you have a freehub, if you have a freehub you could also go to 9 speed and 10 speed.

Level 5 Rider!
    Ok, thank you for clarifying that up for me that helps me out a little bit more now as now I know what type of system I have.

I am still trying to figure out what the cheapest way is for me to get a lower ratio. Is it to replace the freewheel or to replace the crankset?
    You earn 1000 exp!
    New Item - Broken pedals

mtbr member
    May 2013

Freewheel, they are u under 20$ on amazon

Level 5 Rider!
    Quote Originally Posted by Spetsnaz View Post
    Freewheel, they are u under 20$ on amazon

Ok the only ones I see that would lower my gear ratio looks to be the mega range type... what do you all think about those?
    You earn 1000 exp!
    New Item - Broken pedals

Tool
    Megarange works, but the shifting isn't great (probably not a big deal, though). What will be a big deal is when the axle breaks just inside the right bearing. It'll probably be OK for a while, but if and when it breaks, you should upgrade to a cassette hub, which distributes the load much more evenly by moving the bearings to the inside of the freehub body, rather than inside the hub shell.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    7-speed wide range or standard replacement cog cassettes are still out there, but is usually not plated (soon rusty). There is a huge quantity of unsold 7 speeder freewheels online and getting the cassette you want and not the freewheel kind can be challenging. Sell and get an 8 or 9 freehub equipped wheel, then you will have more choices.

rebmem rbtm
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Desidus View Post

I am still trying to figure out what the cheapest way is for me to get a lower ratio. Is it to replace the freewheel or to replace the crankset?
    From what I can see the specs of your bike say it has this 48-38-28 crankset which has a square taper, you could probably get something like this crankset or this crankset which have smaller chainrings then what you have for not too much $.

Level 5 Rider!
    Quote Originally Posted by cobba View Post
    From what I can see the specs of your bike say it has this 48-38-28 crankset which has a square taper, you could probably get something like this crankset or this crankset which have smaller chainrings then what you have for not too much $.
    Would probably have to go with the second as the first said it was compatible with 9 spd. Hmm 41 bucks... that's not too bad. Still I have a feeling things are just going to keep adding up and at the end I will still feel like I have a bike I'm not a super fan of. Maybe I will just deal with what I have until I get so ticked off that I go buy a better bike and give this one to my wife. (though to be honest I am having more problems with my bike than she is with her wallyworld bike, lol.)

Next time I am definitely buying used I think. lol. Thanks everyone for the help!
    You earn 1000 exp!
    New Item - Broken pedals

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Derailluers have a range of teeth count that they will work with ,You can look it up .You could need a new derailluer if you get out of the range of the derailluer you have.