1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    banned
    Mar 2011

rear cassete removal

The rear gears make an awful grinding and it twist the chain up bad the bike is now not ridable and broke.

I took the hub apart, but taking off the gears....how the heck? the problem is in inside that gear, but I'm not sure how it works in there.

Public Figure

mtbr member
    The cassette needs to be removed with special tools as illustrated in the link above and if you don't have them (they can be pricey) I would go to a shop. The cassette actually doesn't move on its own but is on a sleeve that covers the freewheel. Once the cassette is off you can get into there but the repairs can be complicated and you've definitely got to know what you're doing before opening it up and attempting a repair. I would take it to a shop or even get a new rear hub/wheel depending on what you've got on there.
    2012 Intense M9
    2012 Pivot Mach 5.7 Carbon
    2008 Look 595
    2007 Custom Litespeed Sewanee

Picture Unrelated
    The gears making noise probably has nothing to do with the cassette. You're more than likely facing a gear adjustment issue.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

I4NI
    You need a new freehub if it's for your Giant.
    There....Are... Four...Lights!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    yowzah...

banned
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbnozpikr View Post
    The cassette needs to be removed with special tools as illustrated in the link above and if you don't have them (they can be pricey) I would go to a shop. The cassette actually doesn't move on its own but is on a sleeve that covers the freewheel. Once the cassette is off you can get into there but the repairs can be complicated and you've definitely got to know what you're doing before opening it up and attempting a repair. I would take it to a shop or even get a new rear hub/wheel depending on what you've got on there.

I did a whole lot of damage in the back.

I see that when I shift it into the low(biggest gear) next to the spokes, the chain goes right over it and gets wedged between the gear and spokes. Looks like I bent the rear derailer arm bad. The cassette will not free wheel at all so when I stop pedaling, the chain just wraps up and the pedals kick me in the shins lol. It's deff shot.

Finally looks like my bike parts are going away..... They took a lot of punishment though, can't complain.

For safety sakes, I will take it to the shop and see how much to fix it.... This is something I don't want to mess up, because it's a safety thing as much as a major working part.

Just afraid of the tire locking up at high speed.

I4NI
    Quote Originally Posted by Ganymede_Illusion View Post
    I did a whole lot of damage in the back.

I see that when I shift it into the low(biggest gear) next to the spokes, the chain goes right over it and gets wedged between the gear and spokes. Looks like I bent the rear derailer arm bad. The cassette will not free wheel at all so when I stop pedaling, the chain just wraps up and the pedals kick me in the shins lol. It's deff shot.

Finally looks like my bike parts are going away..... They took a lot of punishment though, can't complain.

For safety sakes, I will take it to the shop and see how much to fix it.... This is something I don't want to mess up, because it's a safety thing as much as a major working part.

Just afraid of the tire locking up at high speed.
    You took off the dork dics?

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Are you sure this whole problem isnt revolving around the bent derrailuer?

banned
    Mar 2011
    [QUOTE=S_Trek;8291679]You took off the dork dics?[/QUOT

Yepp........don't need em.

Quote Originally Posted by onemission View Post
    Are you sure this whole problem isnt revolving around the bent derrailuer?
    I took the wheel off and cannot spin the cassette either way, it's totally locked and does not move. The free wheel thing has to be messed up[.

banned
    Mar 2011
    Took my wheel in to the shop and says he'll fix it. I was talking about how it sucks when this happens, because I cannot ride and I want to get some riding in today, because it's damn nice out...not hot, not cold....just warm with no humidity...perfect. So he comes out with a complete wheel/tire for me to use for the day! It has a Specialized "The Captain" tire on it and I'm going to try that baby out. The rear derrailer still works, but I cannot go into super low gear...heck with it.....I'll limp her through for the day anyways.

This wheel is SO MUCH lighter than mine that it's not even funny.

Can't wait to try it....fits onto the bike perfectly.

banned
    Mar 2011
    And of course I'll not pound the lent wheel/tire....cause it's not mine....

Pffftttt who am I kidding lmao.

I4NI
    Quote Originally Posted by Ganymede_Illusion View Post
    Took my wheel in to the shop and says he'll fix it. I was talking about how it sucks when this happens, because I cannot ride and I want to get some riding in today, because it's damn nice out...not hot, not cold....just warm with no humidity...perfect. So he comes out with a complete wheel/tire for me to use for the day! It has a Specialized "The Captain" tire on it and I'm going to try that baby out. The rear derrailer still works, but I cannot go into super low gear...heck with it.....I'll limp her through for the day anyways.

This wheel is SO MUCH lighter than mine that it's not even funny.

Can't wait to try it....fits onto the bike perfectly.

That is what I was trying to tell you. It happen because you took off the dork disc. I would never recommend a person that cannot adjust his rear derailleur properly take off his d-disk. Bad things can happen and it did.

banned
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by S_Trek View Post
    That is what I was trying to tell you. It happen because you took off the dork disc. I would never recommend a person that cannot adjust his rear derailleur properly take off his d-disk. Bad things can happen and it did.

That disc came off when the bike was a day old along with the reflectors. Never bothered since the rear cassette started grinding and now totally stuck. I bent up the derrailler because I think when the chain wrapped up, it pulled the derailer the wrong way.

When I get my wheel back I am going to try and bend it back and adjust till it seems perfect.

Give the whole thing a cleaning and lube job, then back in business.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Sounds like the der. hanger is bent. You can't align it by eye. That shop shouldn't charge must to align it for you.