1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member

really need your help with my marzocchi dirt jam pro fork

Hi, i just bought a kona scrap came witht the 100mm dirt jam fork

one leg have air oil and the air side leg should have a internal rebound adjuster to be adjusted with a " 12mm tee-key" its covered with oil, the color of the oil is kind grey/black yellowish. is that color normal? also the air side leg is almost covered by oil . the other side is dry.

the other side have spring and no oil inside there is also a lot of grease on the spring, also the top cap is a preload adjuster with no o-ring or seal to keep the dust out, do all this sound normal to you?

the fork pushes down and comes back real real slow, i can here the oil moving and compressing while is bouncing back

also, i tried to pump the air to spec from the user manual, i couldnt cuz my tire pump have a adapter thats too big to fit the nut of air valve on the cap of fork. is there a slimmer adapter i can buy that attaches to my pump and smaller enought to fit?

im a total noob about this fork stuff. please give me some hints of what i should do to make it normal.

thanks in advance .
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails really need your help with my marzocchi dirt jam pro fork-pc140353.jpg  

really need your help with my marzocchi dirt jam pro fork-pc140349.jpg  

really need your help with my marzocchi dirt jam pro fork-pc140348.jpg  

really need your help with my marzocchi dirt jam pro fork-pc140352.jpg  

really need your help with my marzocchi dirt jam pro fork-ml.jpg  

Last edited by akacoke; 12-15-2011 at 12:37 AM.

nocturnal oblivion
    You'll need a shock pump to add the air, they're designed to pump to the low volume and high pressures of a fork or rear shock.
    As for the slow rebound, did you adjust it with the 12mm hex as described in the instructions?

The oil looks dirty, not a huge problem, but if you change it you'll need the proper viscosity fork oil and you'll need to know how much to put in. Try to find service instructions for the fork online.

The spring grease is normal. Let us know how it goes.
    "...like sex with the trail." - Boe

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I'd be lost