1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jun 2013

Really need your help guys

First of all, thank you in advance for any input regarding this subject. Now the story:

I am buying 2 bikes for myself and my girlfriend. It is her first "real" bicycle. I decided to get her Bianchi Camaleonte Due, but local Bianchi dealer suggested to adjust Fore-aft position to compensate for the reach, and that's when I knew that I need to look for another place

Dealer next to my house carries Cannondale, and i really liked Quick 4 (seems like a good choice for a beginner, and a frame nice enough to upgrade components later if she gets into biking)

Bought the bike 2 days ago, and decided to really dial it in for her (fore-aft, perfect seat height, etc. ). She is 5'3.5, and local shop recommended men's Quck 4 in medium (according to him Cannondale sizes run a bit small).
    After adjusting seat height at home , I tried adjusting fore-aft position, but even after moving he seat all the way back, she still needed to move an inch back to achieve proper Knee over pedal position.

This seems like a typical problem with female buying a male bike. Reach is long enough, seat position is off or seat position is good, and reach is too long.

I went back to the store next day asking the owner to install seat post with a little offset, to achieve proper knee over pedal position.

The guy (who actually seemed pretty nice and knowledgeable) told me that I am trying to be a perfectionist, and I need to let her enjoy the bike the way it is now. According to him proper knee position only matters that much in road biking world.

I think he is full of crap, because if she decides to get clipless shoes later, she will be screwed.

I know a theory of proper bike fitting, but do not posses a lot of experience, so I do not know for sure if I am right or not.

Please let me know if I am being too picky, or my girlfriend deserves a ride that fits her.
    The owner asked her to ride a bike few times around the parking lot, and said it looked like a right fit.

Thank you for any input you could provide.

mtbr member
    That's bs. Who is he to say how picky you should be. Should he tell you what flavor ice cream to like too?
    IMO he's un interested in helping now that he's got the money. The proof is even if he's right, and you are being too picky, he should entertain your quest until you start to see that.
    Round and round we go

Hi There!
    You didn't mention if she got PROPERLY fitted for the bike to begin with; see if there's a shop near you that can do a proper fitting. There's a shop near me that can do a Retul fitting even if you bought the bike somewhere else, for example.
    NTFTC

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by thegwIed View Post
    You didn't mention if she got PROPERLY fitted for the bike to begin with; see if there's a shop near you that can do a proper fitting. There's a shop near me that can do a Retul fitting even if you bought the bike somewhere else, for example.
    She did not get properly fitted, but i was under the impression that a reputable LBS will at least check basics like knee over pedal position

What should i do now? Demand a female quick 4 frame? Seat post with setback?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    If a setback post is what you want, buy one.

$25 and done.

turtles make me hot
    Really? She's 5'3" and you need to set the seat back on a medium with 700c wheels??

Does she have a long torso? I only ask because my sister in law is 5'5" and rides a 15" frame with 29" wheels and my wife is 5'7" and she's on an 18" 29er.
    I would guess that she'd fit a men's small.
    I like turtles

Hi There!
    Quote Originally Posted by NYChaos View Post
    She did not get properly fitted, but i was under the impression that a reputable LBS will at least check basics like knee over pedal position

What should i do now? Demand a female quick 4 frame? Seat post with setback?
    I don't mean this in a snarky way: did you see them check the knee over pedal position? If you live in San Jose there must be a ton of LBS fairly close to you that can tell you if and how she can fit on this bike. Is returning the bike and starting over an option?
    NTFTC

Probably drunk right now

Was she with you when you bought the bike? They should have "really dialed it in" for her when you bought it.

5'4" on a medium 17-18" bike seems too large unless she has a really long torso. I'd have suggested a small and raised the seat. Speaking of seat height, how much of the post is exposed from the seat tube?

I'm with the others. If you can, take it back and start again. This time, let her pick out the bike that she likes.
    JPark - 3.5- don't listen to dremer

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken in KC View Post
    Was she with you when you bought the bike? They should have "really dialed it in" for her when you bought it.

5'4" on a medium 17-18" bike seems too large unless she has a really long torso. I'd have suggested a small and raised the seat. Speaking of seat height, how much of the post is exposed from the seat tube?

I'm with the others. If you can, take it back and start again. This time, let her pick out the bike that she likes.

Well, cannondales do seem to run a bit Ina small side. Men's medium (identical geometry to female btw) is 16.1 with 51.4cm actual top tube.

Would it be ok to bring it back to the shop or once you leave the store with the bicycle there is no coming back?

She did pick that bike, but what does she know after riding it for 3 minutes around the store. She is new to this I do want her to get a bike that is comfortable for her, and properly adjusted.

The store did not measure anything just made sure that the seat height was good , and then the owner kept an eye on her rising around the parking lot. That was his way of measuring.

Oh and the seat post is out about 5-6 inches out. (Not measuring the actual seat clam)

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by slapheadmofo View Post
    If a setback post is what you want, buy one.

$25 and done.
    That's an option, but then I would have to get a shorter stem to compensate for long reach. It will end up costing me another 100 bucks, and I just spent 1400 on 2 bicycles I don't have a big budget

Probably drunk right now

That's an option, but then I would have to get a shorter stem to compensate for long reach. It will end up costing me another 100 bucks, and I just spent 1400 on 2 bicycles I don't have a big budget
    So what do you want from us?

Do you expect the shop to change components on a $700 bike for free? That doesn't seem reasonable to me.

You bought the bike. Live with it or spend $50-$70 to get what you want or think you need.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Worth a shot to see if they'll swap it up then.
    Call and talk to the boss.

mtbr member
    ............snip..

After adjusting seat height at home , I tried adjusting fore-aft position, but even after moving he seat all the way back, she still needed to move an inch back to achieve proper Knee over pedal position.

..snip..

I went back to the store next day asking the owner to install seat post with a little offset, to achieve proper knee over pedal position.

The guy (who actually seemed pretty nice and knowledgeable) told me that I am trying to be a perfectionist, and I need to let her enjoy the bike the way it is now. According to him proper knee position only matters that much in road biking world.

I think he is full of crap, because if she decides to get clipless shoes later, she will be screwed.

I know a theory of proper bike fitting, but do not posses a lot of experience, so I do not know for sure if I am right or not.

..snipp.
    Many believe k.o.p.s is irrelevant.
    The Myth of K.O.P.S.
    An Alternative Method of Bike Fit

How to Fit a Bicycle

On a road bike a lot of time is spent sitting on the saddle hence saddle position is very important. On a mountain bike a lot of time is spent out of the saddle meaning saddle position is less crucial.
    Duct tape iz like teh Force. It has a Lite side and a Dark side and it holdz the Universe together.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken in KC View Post
    So what do you want from us?

Do you expect the shop to change components on a $700 bike for free? That doesn't seem reasonable to me.

You bought the bike. Live with it or spend $50-$70 to get what you want or think you need.
    I so not expect anything from anyone. I have never purchased a brand new bike before, and just trying to get some opinions. I don't expect a bike shop to change parts for free, but i would expect from LBS to sell me a bike that fits. If they didn't, exchange the bike or make it fit right.

$700.00 may not be a lot of money for you, but its quite a purchase for some of us. Should I only get a proper bike fit when spending over 3000 dollars??

Once again, I only wanted to get few opinions on wheather or not seat position is important on a commuter bike.

Inwas under the impression that it is VERY important. If I am wrong, please correct me.

P.S. I guess i would expect however for you to say something like: "grats on purchasing your first bike, welcome to the club. Seat position is not a big deal, just let her ride it, you can always find ways to adjust it later"
    something like that. Not "what do you want from us?"

Probably drunk right now

I so not expect anything from anyone. I have never purchased a brand new bike before, and just trying to get some opinions. I don't expect a bike shop to change parts for free, but i would expect from LBS to sell me a bike that fits. If they didn't, exchange the bike or make it fit right.

$700.00 may not be a lot of money for you, but its quite a purchase for some of us. Should I only get a proper bike fit when spending over 3000 dollars??

Once again, I only wanted to get few opinions on wheather or not seat position is important on a commuter bike.

Inwas under the impression that it is VERY important. If I am wrong, please correct me.

P.S. I guess i would expect however for you to say something like: "grats on purchasing your first bike, welcome to the club. Seat position is not a big deal, just let her ride it, you can always find ways to adjust it later"
    something like that. Not "what do you want from us?"
    You chose against a bike because the shop suggested moving the seat position. So seat position seems important to you.

You received advice on purchasing a laid back seat post but then suggested that you'd have to purchase a new stem. Not necessarily true but you seem to know what you're looking for.

We can't answer your question on personal fit. We have advised that the bike seems too big for someone who's 5' 3". But you seem to disagree. Fine.

What I can tell you is that of it feels good, it's good. If its too big, then you don't need a setback seat post. Of its too small, You may need one. Or the bike may be the perfect size.

We can't tell you whether an adjustment is not important or not. You haven't provided any information for your specific case that allows us to help you.

mtbr member
    It is "normal" to change stem, seat post, saddle, handle bars to get the best fit on a standard frame.

I am confused. If the bike is possibly on the large size. Why an off set seat post? Are you planning on reversing it?
    Duct tape iz like teh Force. It has a Lite side and a Dark side and it holdz the Universe together.

mtbr member
    ..SNIP...

something like that
    . Not "what do you want from us?"
    ..snip...

The guy (who actually seemed pretty nice and knowledgeable) told me that I am trying to be a perfectionist, and I need to let her enjoy the bike the way it is now.According to him proper knee position only matters that much in road biking world.

..SNIPPP.
    Congrats on you new bike and welcome

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by mitzikatzi View Post
    It is "normal" to change stem, seat post, saddle, handle bars to get the best fit on a standard frame.

I am confused. If the bike is possibly on the large size. Why an off set seat post? Are you planning on reversing it?
    I have never said the bike was too large. I said it was 16.1". Sounds like a right height for someone who is 5'4.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    So what does your girlfriend say about how she feels on the bike? What's her experience level and where is she going to ride? It's her first real bike so I imagine that she hasn't done a lot of trail riding. I would think she needs to get a few hours of riding on it to determine whether she feels she needs some changes. I just bought my gf a new Giant and she is getting used to it and changing gears on the city's bike paths since its her first real bike as well. I'm not too worried about the small stuff at the moment and just happy that she is enjoying her new bike. Later on, I hope she will be willing to hit some trails and get some experience riding dirt. Congrats on your new bikes and hopefully your girlfriend enjoys riding.

Hi There!
    1.Take the bike back and start over somewhere else on a bike that was sized properly
    and she likes
    or
    2. Take the bike to a different shop and see if and how she can fit on this bike
    or
    3. Sell the bike on here or CL or something and go to a reputable shop and get sized
    properly on a bike that she likes and feels comfortable on.

4. If you don't you will never know for sure and it will always be bothering you.
    Last edited by thegweed; 06-19-2013 at 05:45 AM.
    NTFTC

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    If she's comfy on it then you are overthinking things.
    Specially since she's running flats, and you guys aren't banging out epic miles.

Personally, I'd go ride and never waste another second worrying about it.

mtbr member
    On a MTB your center of gravity on the bike is equally as important if not more so than having your knees properly over the peg. Moving the seat too far back can make the front of the bike too light while ascending and put too much weight on the back while cornering. Put her too far back on that bike and it MAY not ride right. Just one more thing to consider in all this.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DECIM8 View Post
    On a MTB your center of gravity on the bike is equally as important if not more so than having your knees properly over the peg. Moving the seat too far back can make the front of the bike too light while ascending and put too much weight on the back while cornering. Put her too far back on that bike and it MAY not ride right. Just one more thing to consider in all this.
    Thing is shes not on a mountain bike. She's on a Cannondale quick hybrid type bike.