1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jun 2013

Ready to hit some trails!

Hello. I recently quit smoking, soda, and junk/fast food etc. I bought a bike to get in shape and man, I am obsessed! I've only been riding in my neighborhood, and I'm siked to go hit some local trails. I've been doing a lot of research on this site. So I thought I'd join. I'm really happy I decided to get into this...

mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Re: Ready to hit some trails!

Welcome. Find some trails, and get ready to be hooked. I stopped drinking soda, every month I'm getting faster

Hi There!
    Get to it then and let us know how it turns out...and remember, ride within your limits, don't get frustrated. You'll see progress every time you go.
    NTFTC

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Make sure to stretch, dont over do it, and pace your self on long rides. You dont want to be 20 miles from home with a leg cramp. Keep hydrated too.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    i remember my first trail ride. I came out grinning like a fool!

I devoured all I could read on mountain biking when I started, to give me some theoretical knowledge before going out, it does help. On-line instructional videos can be great as well.

and heed the advice given by thegweed and NEOHIO. Get a good hydration pack and be sure to use it! Expect to fall at least once or twice... happens to everyone....

mtbr member
    Good on you for taking such positive steps. Keep riding and having fun. Start with easy trails, don't get discouraged if you get in over your head with rocks, roots, etc. Learning "technical" stuff - handling things that want to knock you off your bike - is a never ending challenge. You will learn! Keep riding!
    Use it, use it, use it while you still have it.

mtbr member
    Ah, the honeymoon stage! The great thing about biking is it never goes away!

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    i started biking earlier this year.

i rode around the neighbor hood to get accustomed to my bike and decided to work the streets and horse trails.

i decided that i needed more cardio because any type of incline killed me!

i am glad i put that time in because when i do meet with friends to do the local stuff i am not fatigued.

also, riding in the street/roads is different when you have dirt, rocks and roots under you.

stay with it, man!!!!

joel

fly on the wall
    Nov 2010
    Welcome to the adventure. Be sure to have a helmet, some water, and go explore!
    ~Always avoid alliteration.

Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/NearlyFr...ew=0&flow=grid

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Awesome thanks for the tips guys. Fortunately, I grew up on a 3 wheeler, raced 4 wheelers, was a skater in high school, and I've ridden all the crazy **** at vail and beaver creek, on a snow board. So I'm not scared of what lies ahead on the trails. It's being out of shape is what I'm worried about!

mtbr member
    Nice! It's nice to hear of people taking their health seriously and making positive changes! I'm almost two years soda-free now! I can't believe I used to drink that garbage!
    "Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up." Galatians 6:9