1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.

Thread: Raleigh M400

mtbr member
    Mar 2010

Raleigh M400

Craigslist Bike opinion wanted,
    I am looking on this bike, have read enough to see that one shouldn't buy one from wall-mart. But not sure what brands or specs are good. I don't want to spend a lot because i don't know if i will really get into trail riding.
    What do you think of this bike?
    Also i am 6'5" will a 22" frame be big enough?
    He is asking $225

Specs:
    Raleigh M400 mountain bike. Aluminum frame (made in the USA!), Shimano Deore hubs, new WTB Nano tires. Components include STX RC derailluers, new Shimano Deore crank ($45 part), Sram 9.0 grip shifters. Frame size is 22".

mtbr member
    it could be ok for what you need it for but it could be complete trash, you have to ride it to find out. I would be interested in what kind of fork it has... as for fit again you have to ride it and see how it feels for you but its in the ballpark i think. Like anything on craigslist offer him lower then what we wants!

I'm sure you already know this but you usually get what you pay for but if you are just getting into it and are not sure how much you will be biking then its smarter to buy a little cheap to begin with and buy better if you still like the sport.