1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Raising Handlbars on Cannondale F700 cad2

Hi,
    Although I've had this bike since 1996 I'm not getting any younger. So, I'm trying to find my options to get a more upright riding position.
    The bike has a setting which allows me to control suspension on the front wheel. Unfortunately, this seems to restrict my options for raising the bars/stem. Does anyone have any suggestions how I might achieve a good 3-4 inches higher position? It's still a really excellent bike and I'm reluctant to trade it in.
    Sorry, not familiar with the jargon so please be treat me like a complete newbie.
    Many thanks.

mtbr member
    I'm guessing you have a headshock, which is Cannondale's own special thing. They're pretty cool, but you're right....stem choice is limited. You'll have to look into Kore, Profile, or Syncros for those. Not sure who else makes compatable stems.

Another option is to get a pair of riser bars. Like the name implies, they give you a little more height. This Easton Monkeybar, for example, can be had at www.pricepoint.com for around $40

Ride the dream
    A riser bar will give some rise, but monkeybars are expensive, and if you want big rise they arent the best.

You'd want bars with a huge upsweep to gain that kind of height lol, and we dont know if the OP already has riser bars.

If he has flat bars, the upsweep brought by riser bars would also take some getting used to.
    If he has risers already, then gaining an ADDITIONAL 3-4" would be difficult.

What size steerer clamp does your fork/frame take?

The other way to get yourself a more upright riding position is to get an inline seatpost, bringing your saddly further forward (this has the added benefit of giving you more space to get off the back for steep descents.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Upset Some pics

Hi and thanks for that. Here's some images of my current setup. Does that make any difference to your suggestions? I really appreciate help on this as I've been wanting to make improvements for ages now.

http://forums.mtbr.com/images/icons/icon8.gif
    Upset

[IMG][/IMG]

mtbr member
    Yep. Headshock. Check with your local shop about finding a shorter, not taller stem. They should be able to source one for you, and install it as soon as it arrives.

If you shorten that up a bit (that's a loooong stem), your position on the bike will be more upright. Pair that with a decent set of risers, and you should feel much more comfortable.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Thanks

Thanks very much for the advice. I really appreciate it.