1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.

Thread: Rack problem

mtbr member
    Jan 2013

New question here. Rack problem

I have ridden road bikes forever, but I purchased my first mountain bike a few months ago. It is a 2003 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo. I want to put a rear rack on it to carry various things on the trail. I saw several holes in the dropouts so I ordered a rack which seems excellent. Here is the problem. On the right dropout there is one hole only, a threaded hole. Clearly a rack would bolt right on there. On the left dropout there are three holes, one threaded and two drilled through the dropout. The threaded hole that apparently "matches" the one on the right side is two inches below the dropout, while the threaded hole on the right is only half an inch below the dropout--not even close to aligning. On the left there is a hole drilled through the dropout that is 5/8" below the dropout, but this does not align correctly with the threaded hole on the right. So, in short, the left dropout has three holes where a rack might attach, but none of these aligns with the single threaded hole on the right. Are these dropouts incorrectly drilled, or is it simply impossible to put a rack on this bike (that will be straight). The frame has not been modified.

banned
    Aug 2012
    You'll probably need to find something like this.

This one is by Old Man Mountain, and no, it's not my bike.

Rear attaches via a longer skewer, front uses adapters to attach to frame, brake post mounts, seat post, something.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    The hardware store has a roll of metal strapping with holes drilled every half-inch or so, about a half inch wide.
    http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-YYQTz07Qgi...4/s320/PHI.jpg
    Using slit rubber tubing for bushings to protect the frame and prevent slippage, make attachment points to the seatstays using the strapping and bolts.

How long a rides do you take?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    There are racks that clamp on to the seat post,take the bike to a shop they will find you something that works.

Picture Unrelated
    Quote Originally Posted by DennisF View Post
    The hardware store has a roll of metal strapping with holes drilled every half-inch or so, about a half inch wide.
    http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-YYQTz07Qgi...4/s320/PHI.jpg
    Using slit rubber tubing for bushings to protect the frame and prevent slippage, make attachment points to the seatstays using the strapping and bolts.

How long a rides do you take?
    Also, many racks ship with P-clamps. If yours didn't you could get some from a hardware store.

If you are determined to mount to the holes in your frame, you need to provide a picture of the dropout.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Yeah, if you can buy P clamps, better yet!