1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Apr 2010

RaceFace Forged Crank Compatibility Question

Iam looking to invest in a mountain bike this Spring but I want to utilize a set of Race Face Forged Cranks. My question is, are there only certain bikes that can use these cranks? They were originally on a Trek 8000 but I am currently looking at a Gary Fisher Piranha 09 and others. Also, I dont know if it matters but there are some numbers on the back of the cranks, 175 and 0749. Thanks for the help!

Former Bike Wrench
    Pictures would help here...they should work but not knowing what interface they are (square taper, ISIS, or X-Type) limits any advice I may be able to offer.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Heres the crank bottom

http://picasaweb.google.com/10275295...24542270786370

Also, this is supposedly the crank on the bike Im looking at:

Crank Set: Shimano FC-M428, 44s/32s/22s, Octalink

Here are some pics:

http://picasaweb.google.com/Julessch...at=directlink#

Thoughts on the bike as well would be greatly appreciated.