mtbr member
    Oct 2017

RaceFace Chester vs Forte Transfer pedals opinions

I posted this in component scetion but I think the beginner forum gets more attention

Im looking to get some pedals for my new MTB, Speci Pitch Expert as I plan to start riding now and was told pedals are a must. Does anyone have any experience with the Forte pedals? Most of the threads I have read mention the Chester's but I don't see much about the Forte. Performance has them for 39$ which seems like a good deal. I don't know the ins/outs of what to look for in a pedal and I will just be doing local trails and greenways mostly. I do want composite which both fall in that category but I am not sure of the bearings and axle difference if there is any? Open to reading and hearing you experience and suggestions. I wear a size 10 if that matters any

Thanks

Bikesexual
    Fortes were the first pedals I bought and they were fine, but I do think you will get more quality and less weight with the Chesters.

I only have one bike with VP Vice left and the others have been changed to Chesters. Combine with some good shoes, its like being glued to the pedals.

They also look pretty good!

Sent from my LGMS210 using Tapatalk
    We don't know how strong we are, until being strong is the only choice..

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    If I didn't know better I'd think the Forte looked like a rebadged Nukeproof Electron (not a bad thing, they have a steady following)
    Personally I'd lean towards the Chesters just cos they have a very good reputation, whereas the Fortes not as well known and looks a bit like a rebadged generic, with limited market traction/ user reviews.

mtbr member
    On one hand, for the riding you say you're going to do, I doubt you'll notice much difference one way or the other. Both are plastic, with the same number of pins. I suspect thickness and platform size are similar. They are probably made in the same factory with the same QC.

On the other, the Chesters are only $7 more and have an actual bike company's name on them. A year or 3 down the road, when you need bearings, you'll probably be able to get them for the chesters. Everything with a Performance brand on it that I've ever owned, there were no parts available whatsoever - once a bearing wears out, you toss the whole thing (or get a bearing from a bearing supplier).

Of course with plastic pedals, the bearings might outlast the bodies.
    so I guess I'd stick with my initial assessment: there isn't much difference between them, get whatever you think looks better.

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Thanks everyone. Very good points provided and I think I will go with the Chesterís. Good point about needing parts later down the road and it is a small difference in price.

jcd's best friend
    I love my Chesters. I wear Specialized 2F0 shoes and they stick to the pedals like glue. Make sure you choose the right color! The brighter the color, the faster you go.
    Trek …monda SL6 | Giant Fathom 29 |
    Octane One Prone 29

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by NigelMTB View Post
    Thanks everyone. Very good points provided and I think I will go with the Chesterís. Good point about needing parts later down the road and it is a small difference in price.
    I hope you realize that a rebuilt kit and new pins will cost almost as much as a new set.

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Thanks Battery. Iíll probably be super slow since I plan on getting Black. My back is Black with hints of red. Good point Gumby_ride. May as well buy a new set.

RaceFace Chester vs Forte Transfer pedals opinions-d7a5da59-d3bd-4243-a59c-e100caf2c0f3.jpg