1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Feb 2013

Quick question about chain damage

So my wife's chain came off the front small ring (granny ring I think?) anyways, it got stuck between the chainstay and the small sprocket and took off some paint as well as scratched the chainstay a little. I've since adjusted the low limit screw for the fd and was wondering should I clean up the damaged area and cover the bare metal with some paint or something to prevent corrosion? Thanks

mtbr member
    I would paint the area with some "touch" up paint. I have heard of nail polish being used.
    Duct tape iz like teh Force. It has a Lite side and a Dark side and it holdz the Universe together.

mtbr member
    If it's a steel frame, definitely. Otherwise it's most likely cosmetic. Years ago when chainsuck was a lot more common, this would happen all the time but never affected the frame structurally.

'Tis but a scratch
    My opinion - don't bother...move on with life. Consider it character. You did the right thing by making the derailleur adjustment.

I can't imagine putting nail polish on my bike, but I have read the same as "mitzikatzi" states. It surprises me that it works since my wife and daughters need a new manicure every other week.

Supposedly you can get a PPG code for the paint and then get an exact match. Good luck with that. I tried to find a PPG code for one of my bikes...no luck. Some have suggested to match it to a car you see on the road. It is pretty easy to find a PPG code for a car.

Again, I say...let the bike have a few scars.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Thanks for all the suggestions everybody

Probably drunk right now

Quick question about chain damage

It's probably an aluminum bike. You don't need to touch it up. If it really bothers her, get a bottle of testors model paint. They make hundreds of colors. You'll find a match.

For clarity: even if it's a steel bike, a scratch doesn't really need to be touched up. It would take decades of riding to impact the integrity of the frame.

Sent from my rotary phone and compiled with a telegraph machine.
    JPark - 3.5- don't listen to dremer