1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.

Thread: Quick Question

mtbr member

Quick Question

If you were looking for a new bike (not me a buddy of mine), and you liked 2 different manufacturers, but the bikes were almost identical. Which would you go for?
    Do not want to put manufacturer in, since some people are biased. Has rode and liked both.

Bike A...$520

FRAMESET
    Sizes 13, 16, 18, 19.5, 21, 22.5, 24"
    Frame Alpha Black Aluminum w/externally relieved head tube, hydroformed bi-axial down tube, monostay seatstays, forged disc ready dropouts
    Front Suspension RockShox Dart 3 w/preload, lockout, alloy steerer, 100mm

DRIVETRAIN
    Shifters Shimano Alivio, 8 speed
    Front Derailleur Shimano Acera
    Rear Derailleur Shimano Deore
    Crank Shimano M341 42/32/22
    Cassette SRAM PG830 11-32, 8 speed
    Pedals Alloy platform

WHEELS
    Wheels Alloy front hub, Shimano RM30 rear hub; Bontrager Camino, 32-hole rims w/eyelets, machined sidewalls
    Tires Bontrager Jones ACX, 26x2.1"; 27 tpi

COMPONENTS
    Saddle Bontrager Select Basic
    Seat Post Bontrager SSR, 20mm offset
    Handlebars Bontrager SSR Riser, 25mm rise, 25.4mm, 620mm width
    Stem Bontrager SSR, 10 degree, 25.4mm
    Headset VP-A76C-TK, 1 1/8" semi-cartridge, sealed
    Brakeset Avid SD-3 w/alloy levers

Bike B...$630

FRAMESET
    Sizes XS (13") | SM (15.5") | MD (17.5") | LG (19") | XL (21")
    Frame Gold Series 6061 T6 aluminum, G2 Geometry, butted and hydroformed tubing, cold-forged dropouts & BB
    Front Shock RockShox Dart 3, 100mm travel, custom G2 Geometry 46mm offset crown, external rebound, lockout

DRIVETRAIN
    Shifters Shimano Deore
    Front Derailleur Shimano Deore
    Rear Derailleur Shimano Deore M592 Shadow
    Cassette SRAM PG950 11-32 9spd
    Bottom Bracket VP BC82 Cartridge

WHEELS
    Wheels Shimano M65 hubs, Bontrager Camino rims 32h
    Tires Bontrager Jones XR 26x2.2 rear/ 2.25 front

COMPONENTS
    Crank Set Shimano FC-M442 44/32/22
    Saddle Bontrager Race
    Seatpost Bontrager SSR, micro adjust, 27.2
    Handlebar Bontrager SSR riser, 25mm rise, 620mm width, 6d backsweep
    Grips Bontrager Race Lite
    Stem Bontrager SSR, 10d rise
    Pedals Wellgo ATB, boron axle, alloy cage
    Headset 1-1/8" threadless, semi-integrated, semi-cartridge bearings
    Brakeset Avid SD 3 linear pull

JRA
    I would choose bike "b"' the Fisher hardtail. All else being equal, it has a better drivetrain spec. B is a 9 speed meaning you will have a greater choice of replacement parts.
    --If you must choose between two evils, pick the one you've never tried before.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRuckus View Post
    I would choose bike "b"' the Fisher hardtail. All else being equal, it has a better drivetrain spec. B is a 9 speed meaning you will have a greater choice of replacement parts.
    Nice guess, can I ask how you knew? (2010 Marlin to be exact)

Bike A is a 09 Trek 4500, just so you know.

Pretty comparable huh?

And Thanks! That is what I was pushing towards, but then again I am a little biased being as though it is what I have. Although my buddy who has a Raleigh was saying the same thing.
    2010 Gary Fisher Marlin
    Upgrade-Wellgo MG-1 Pedals
    If you don't come back banged up and bruised, you didn't go hard enough!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RabEd Ewok View Post
    Nice guess, can I ask how you knew?
    He knew from the names of the aluminum, and also from the fork geometry. Trek is the company that uses names like "Alpha Black" to describe their alloys. Trek owns the Gary Fisher brand. Gary Fisher bikes are the only ones to implement G2 geometry.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JonathanGennick View Post
    He knew from the names of the aluminum, and also from the fork geometry. Trek is the company that uses names like "Alpha Black" to describe their alloys. Trek owns the Gary Fisher brand. Gary Fisher bikes are the only ones to implement G2 geometry.
    Thanks, you know when I posted that, I was thinking there was something that was going to give one of them away. Darn it, new to this. Guess I should have left the Frameset out, being as though it really did not make a difference. Just wanted to compare the Components.
    2010 Gary Fisher Marlin

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Thanks, you know when I posted that, I was thinking there was something that was going to give one of them away. Darn it, new to this. Guess I should have left the Frameset out, being as though it really did not make a difference. Just wanted to compare the Components.
    this is where you & so many others like you go wrong...the frame is the most important component

Picture Unrelated
    They're both basically the same bike, they're both owned by Trek. The google says 4500 and a Marlin, it's really hard to be biased to a manufacturer when they're both Trek bikes.

Here's the thing, the geometry of both are set up differently. I have worked at two Trek/Fisher dealers and depending on the customer they would choose between the two brands mostly because of the feel of the bike. Your "friend" (yeah sure, we totally believe you... it's for your "friend") Needs to simply give the bikes a quick test ride and pick the one they like to ride better. The Fishers tend to be a bit longer in the top tube with a shorter stem where the Treks tend to fit as a middle of the road design.

One will probably feel a bit better than the other and the absolute most important part of picking a bike is how it fits and feels. It doesn't matter what parts are hung off of a frame, if it doesn't fit or doesn't feel good you won't ride it. Have your friend to test ride some bikes.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by markaitch View Post
    this is where you & so many others like you go wrong...the frame is the most important component
    I was implying I should have left that out, because it did not matter. As in no one looking at this thread would have known it was a Fisher Hardtail. Not as in the Frame does not matter at all, like you are implying.

Quote Originally Posted by zebrahum View Post
    Your "friend" (yeah sure, we totally believe you... it's for your "friend")
    Seriously it really is for a friend, since I just bought my Marlin on the 17th. Why would I look at basically the same bike but made by Trek. If I was to look at another bike this soon, I would not be looking at them two that is for sure! If I was to look at another bike this soon, it would probably be the Specialized Hardrock/Hardrock Disc/Hardrock Sport Disc, or Raleigh Talus 4.0 or 5.0. Since they were in the running for when I bought mine. But my Marlin has better components then both of them, so that would just be dumb. Unless of course I was getting it for a steal!
    2010 Gary Fisher Marlin

Picture Unrelated
    I was implying I should have left that out, because it did not matter. As in no one looking at this thread would have known it was a Fisher Hardtail.
    Actually, I just searched the obviously copy/pasted specs in google and found exactly what you copied. It wasn't that veiled and honestly it doesn't matter what two bikes you're comparing because everyone is going to key in on different things that are important. Again, the only real important thing is how the rider feels on the bike not what parts are attached to it.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?