1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jul 2012

Questions for full spensions bikes

I have a FS bike that I am wanting to be able to take offroad and on town streets. I am wanting to know if I can find a replacement for the rear shock, either stiffer or a rod to eliminate movement for city streets.

I would evidently like to replace it with a solid rod, but I am wondering would that create conflict with the frames integrity?

Thanks for the help!

mtbr member
    That would probably put way to much stress on the shock mounting points if you hit something hard.

I would buy a shock that has lockout. Most good lockout shocks will still give if something is hit hard. This protects the frame and shock from damage.

Is not amused
    Year, make and model would help us help you. As for the rod idea, I would not go that route. If it is a fairly new frame a current rear shock if it can fit with pro-pedal (PP) or lock out would help a little for road rides.
    Yip yip yip nope nope nope

Single(Pivot)and Happy
    The OP started another thread before asking about upgrades for a Super Cycle Hooligan.

Check out the bike before posting suggestions.
    The suspension of your bike sucks if it's different than mine. Really. It sucks. Big time.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I wouldn't spend any money on that (if it is a dept store bike) the $350+ it would cost for a decent lockout shock would be better spent on a rigid bike that doesn't behave like a dog on Tarmac.

mtbr member
    if it is a hooligan i agree with not spending any $$ on it. Cheaper FS bikes have brutal suspension and pedal bob but thats just the nature of the beast. either swap it for a hard tail or save up for a better bike.
    Current Rides:
    2011 Trek Remedy 8

To Get Me There:
    2012 Ford F150 Ecoboost

Is not amused
    Quote Originally Posted by Boulder Pilot View Post
    The OP started another thread before asking about upgrades for a Super Cycle Hooligan.

Check out the bike before posting suggestions.
    With that information I would defiantly just ride the bike till it breaks or save up for a non department store bike (hard tail). The rear shock alone would be worth more then the bike then you currently have.

Quote Originally Posted by BrandNewDaddy View Post
    I have a FS bike that I am wanting to be able to take offroad and on town streets. I am wanting to know if I can find a replacement for the rear shock, either stiffer or a rod to eliminate movement for city streets.

I would evidently like to replace it with a solid rod, but I am wondering would that create conflict with the frames integrity?

Thanks for the help!
    finding a replacement shock is not worth your money. as mentioned many times already, one with a functional lockout will cost more than your whole bike. if you use it for more than a few months, the existing shock will behave like a solid rod, anyway. you can speed up this process by locking it up outside in the rain. you may not even need to lock it up.

I do believe solid rods are available as an emergency shock replacement (carry in your toolkit on bikepacking trips and such so you can finish the ride if your shock blows out). I have no idea whether any would fit your frame or not. but even those will probably cost as much as your whole bike.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Thanks for the information, I am actually not buying the bike its being given to me over a trade for some baby gear. I know I can tighten the shock gradually but I just wanna make sure I dont lose momentum when trying to ride uphill.

I am pretty sure I can find a used lockout shock online, I am not looking to spend alot of money.

When I can afford a "real" bike I wanna build it from the ground up starting with a hardtail, but right now I need to make this bike last as long as I can, and as comfortable as I can without sacrificing anything.

I am pretty sure everyone on this forum started from the bottom on a department store bike, and had to deal with the shitty components and wanted to switch out piece to make it more enjoyable to ride.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by BrandNewDaddy View Post
    I am pretty sure everyone on this forum started from the bottom on a department store bike, and had to deal with the shitty components and wanted to switch out piece to make it more enjoyable to ride.
    I would say this is not a true statement. May people get into MTBing going the used route for their first bike. You can get a lot of bike by going that route since many like to upgrade every couple of years. Since you are concerned about making the bike ride better on the street, you may be better off just getting something dedicated for that type of riding. $100-150 on craigslist should get a nice "street" bike that will last you forever. Just look for a road/hybrid/older hardtail. Just avoid anything with a front shock for the street.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by jettore View Post
    I would say this is not a true statement. May people get into MTBing going the used route for their first bike. You can get a lot of bike by going that route since many like to upgrade every couple of years. Since you are concerned about making the bike ride better on the street, you may be better off just getting something dedicated for that type of riding. $100-150 on craigslist should get a nice "street" bike that will last you forever. Just look for a road/hybrid/older hardtail. Just avoid anything with a front shock for the street.
    Yeah true, I was hoping I would find someone who fit in my area, but as I said before I am looking for an inexpensive way to make this work. I am being given this bike, and really have a limited budget, I am looking at used parts, and have found a couple.

My other option as I can find is replacing the spring in the shock with a heavier shock, maybe 900lb/s or 1200lb/s? would that work? or would i need an entire new shock and spring set up to handle a heavier spring?

Single(Pivot)and Happy
    You are receiving this bike for free so just ride it and enjoy it.

There are no replacement shocks to be found for this frame. The "shock" on this frame is simply a spring holder. There is no damping. The eye-to-eye measurement is unique to this frame, as well as the hardware.

Forget about the solid shaft idea. The frame and attachment points are not engineered for the load that will result from such an arrangement.

Any bike that gets a rider outdoors is a good bike. Just ride your bike and have fun, exercise, and improve your fitness. When your bike reaches its limitations, you will have a better idea of what you need in a bike to progress. Until you reach (and your bike reaches) this point, just ride and enjoy.
    The suspension of your bike sucks if it's different than mine. Really. It sucks. Big time.

'Tis but a scratch
    I don't really think you should mess with investing in a lockout shock - as previously covered. Hopefully, the front fork has a lockout. I think that would be even more important to lock out due to "bobbing" on the climbs.

I started riding mtb on a steel fully rigidhardtail from the LBS. about $200. Some people start on department store bikes. Rarely do they last more than a year. A lot of riders on a budget go into the used market. Regardless, this bike is not worth spending money on.

Folks make a good point. You will NOT find a shock that fits. Each shock requires unique hardware to fit on a given bike. You will not be able to find bushings and reducers for your frame

Is not amused
    Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk View Post
    Folks make a good point. You will NOT find a shock that fits. Each shock requires unique hardware to fit on a given bike. You will not be able to find bushings and reducers for your frame
    This and word to the wise for the OP regarding trying to fix a department store bike. I understand people want to better their bike but the advice that has been given all ready is for your own good. In that case there was a thread awhile back about someone trying to fix their bike (same value) and after all advice was given everything went up in flames. I'm not saying this is going to happen to you but, after trying to find bushings, reducers for your frame, on top of a used shock the money you will spend could go towards a better bike. Just ride it till you find something used or save up. Again I'm just trying to help you in the long run.

This is the thread I'm referring too below. If anyone does read it please do not respond as this will resurrect it for the masses.

Jeep Bike Build

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    As many others are saying, I would get as much as you can out of the bike without throwing too much money at it. If you are getting pedal bob uphill, use that as an opportunity to get more of a workout. Try to stay seated and pedal as smoothly as possible. Of course you aren't going to set any speed records on a low-end bike, but you might as well get some good exercise in.

When you have had enough of that, start looking around for a decent, but basic hardtail. They are easier to maintain, and you get more bang for your buck.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Thank you everyone for the advice, and I will take it to heart. My wife is already getting on my case, and she supports everyone's advice here.

Last question, I know the shock in the middle is a spring support, hence it being so squishy, would it be worth it replacing it with a heavier spring? I know a guy who can get me some decent gear for cheap. Used and new.

Single(Pivot)and Happy
    The "shock" on this frame is not a suspension component, it is simply a coil spring holder. This device works on the same principle as a pogo stick. Energy input (bumps) compresses the spring. Since there is no damping, all the energy stored in the spring is released (rebound) violently. The bigger the bump, the harsher the rebound.

Everytime your pedal goes from the 12 o'clock position to 6 o'clock position, power transfer intended to drive your rear wheel will be absorbed by the coil spring. With no damping, the energy stored in the coil spring has to release, and the result will be what some describe as "bob" or "inch worming". Instead of pedal input propelling the bike forward, picture an inchworm, moving forward but energy wasted on on the vertical axis.

As has been mentioned before, any bike that gets a person outdoors and exercising is a good bike. Ride your new to you bike. Meet and befriend other area riders. Many riders have multiple bikes and a benefit of building friendships is the very real possibility of one of your new riding buddies cutting you a Bro deal on a bike.

banned
    Jul 2012
    Itís always possible for you to buy a replacement rear shock but it might affect the stability of the frame, even mess it up. To compliment with your need, A fork for such trail should be a better option.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Alright so I got the bike yesterday morning, tested it out the rear shock and front fork felt pretty stiff for a decent 5 min ride on the road. Today I took it out for the real test, surprisingly the front fork is stiff for a department store bike, no rust (i checked the easings) the rear shock spring is rather hefty for a department store bike as well, this frame is a new 2012 frame so I am thinking some where down the line the figured to upgrade the equipment on it.

I have seen a couple older frames for this brand and series in the stores(checked the manufacturing date) and they do not have the same derailers, or the front forks with the IS disk brake bracket.

Could I be correct in thinking that they beefed up the bike to hold an older range of riders?